Today@WKU: December 5, 2018
- WKU News
- Wednesday, December 5th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for December 5, 2018.
- WKU students awarded Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants: Three WKU students recently were awarded study abroad grants worth $1,000 each from The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi—the nation's oldest and most selective collegiate honor society for all academic disciplines. The students are part of a select group of 25 students nationwide to receive the award.
- WKU Week in Photos: Nov. 26-30, 2018: Check out the latest installment of WKU Week in Photos by Clinton Lewis and Bryan Lemon of WKU Public Affairs on WKU Facebook.
- What’s Happening at WKU: Check out a list of events through Dec. 22.
- WKU to recognize fall graduates at ceremonies Dec. 15: WKU’s five academic colleges will recognize more than 1,400 fall graduates in ceremonies on Dec. 15.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Volleyball: Anderson Named AVCA All-Region Selection for Third-Consecutive Season: WKU Volleyball senior middle hitter Rachel Anderson has earned her third-straight AVCA All-Region Team selection, the American Volleyball Coaches Association announced Tuesday. The Sturgis, Mich., native is one of just 18 current student-athletes across the country to earn at least three All-Region nods across their career and is one of just two players in the South region to achieve the feat.
- Football: Helton Announces First Group of Hires for Initial Coaching Staff: First-year head coach Tyson Helton has announced his first wave of coaching hires as he works to put together his staff and get on the recruiting trail. Helton will also retain a number of WKU assistant coaches and support staff who were with the program previously in 2018, aiming to build continuity in a variety of areas. More: Pate, Deane Lead List of 13 Hilltoppers Honored by Conference USA
- Men’s basketball: Hilltoppers Begin Road Swing Tonight at Missouri State: WKU Hilltopper Basketball heads back on the road for a two-game swing, starting at Missouri State at 7 tonight in Springfield, Mo. The game will air on the subscription service ESPN+.
- Baseball: Countdown to First Pitch - 100 Days of Hilltopper History: As WKU prepares for the 100th Season of Hilltopper Baseball, WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Baseball, leading up to First Pitch at Nick Denes Field on February 15, 2019.
- WKU to host expert on college students with autism: When it comes to how young adults with autism navigate college, there’s a lot people get wrong. That’s why WKU Public Broadcasting is welcoming guest lecturer Jane Thierfeld Brown to WKU to set the record straight. Brown, an expert on the subject with more than 30 years of academic and professional experience, will speak at 3 p.m. today in Room 166 of Jody Richards Hall. Her presentation, “The College Experience for Students with Autism,” is open to the public.
- HOMETOWN HERO: Dr. Carl Kell: From the Wendy’s 10k Classic, to the Med Center Health 10k Classic, the one thing that’s always been consistent is Dr. Carl Kell.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- WKU Spirit Magazine: Check out the fall 2018 issue of WKU Spirit magazine.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: John Asher Scholarship Fund; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing email@example.com or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11, 2019); Highbrow; Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 15); The Essential Tree (through Dec. 15); Process Oriented Works (through Dec. 14); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Wednesday, December 5
- 11:30 a.m.: Student Recital. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 3 p.m.: Presentation: The College Experience for Students with Autism by Dr. Jane Thierfeld Brown, director of College Autism Spectrum and Assistant Clinical Professor at Yale Child Study Center. Jody Richards Hall Auditorium. Contact WKU Public Broadcasting, (270) 745-5489.
- 6 p.m.: WKU Kwanzaa Celebration. Mahurin Honors College/International Center, room 1011. Contact Saundra Ardrey, (270) 745-4558.
Thursday, December 6
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Celebrations for a Long Winter’s Night. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.