Today@WKU: November 26, 2018
- WKU News
- Monday, November 26th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for November 26, 2018.
- Support WKU on #GivingTuesday: Find out how you can support WKU on #GivingTuesday. Every gift is important. Make a gift on #GivingTuesday and Climb With Us.
- Mandy Hicks: The business side of helping others: Mandy Hicks always knew she wanted to make an impact in her community, but it was difficult for her to narrow down the types of people she wanted to help.
- Drew Martin is dedicating his career to helping juniors achieve: What started as a simple volunteering experience has turned into a meaningful career for Drew Martin of Bowling Green. “I started out as a Junior Achievement (JA) volunteer about six years ago when I worked at WKU in Alumni Relations,” explained Martin. “They encouraged us to volunteer with different organizations so I chose JA. That experience led to me becoming President of JA Southern Kentucky, a role I’ve been in for three years now."
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Football: WKU to Make Change at Head Football Coach Position: Mike Sanford will not return to lead the WKU football program in 2019, WKU Director of Athletics Todd Stewart announced on Sunday. A search for his replacement is already underway. More: Hilltoppers Cap 2018 Season with First-Ever Win at Louisiana Tech
- Women’s basketball: Tops Fall to Gonzaga in Vancouver Showcase Finale, 76-55: Lady Topper Basketball closed out play in the Vancouver Showcase with a 76-55 loss to Gonzaga on Saturday as the team finished 1-2 on the weekend for sixth place. Raneem Elgedawy and Dee Givens led WKU with 13 points each. Next: WKU vs. Morgan State at 6 p.m. Wednesday.
- Men’s basketball: Hilltoppers Fall 63-54 at Indiana State: WKU Hilltopper Basketball never got going in any facet Saturday, falling 63-54 at Indiana State. The Hilltoppers (3-3) shot just 36.8 percent from the field and committed 15 turnovers, including nine in the second half against just one assist. Next: WKU vs. Tennessee State at 6 p.m. Saturday.
- Softball: Six Signees Ink National Letters of Intent to Join WKU: WKU Softball head coach Amy Tudor has announced six new additions to the Hilltopper program following National Signing Day. Set to join the team on The Hill next fall are Madeline Rider, Madeline Harris, Taylor Sanders, Tatiasha Webster, Carli Crowder and Brylee Hage. The incoming class hails from four different states while adding depth in every aspect of the game.
- Baseball: Countdown to First Pitch - 100 Days of Hilltopper History: As WKU prepares for the 100th Season of Hilltopper Baseball, WKU Athletics is treating fans to unique moments and interesting history from Hilltopper Baseball, leading up to First Pitch at Nick Denes Field on February 15, 2019.
- Glasgow native speaks at library about Seminole architecture: WKU graduate Carrie Dilley returned to her hometown this week for Thanksgiving, making a stop at the Mary Wood Weldon Memorial Library during her time in Glasgow to teach the public about the Seminole culture she’s been close to for roughly a decade.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- WKU Spirit Magazine: Check out the fall 2018 issue of WKU Spirit magazine.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of Alumni events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: John Asher Scholarship Fund; WKU Alumni Connection App; WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers – Castles of the Rhine 2019
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Schedule a tour. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- #WKU2023: Attention high school seniors, WKU has opened the Fall 2019 application! Join the Hilltopper Family at http://wku.edu/apply. More: DiscoverWKU & Head for The Hill events
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through May 11, 2019); Highbrow; Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 15); The Essential Tree (through Dec. 15); Process Oriented Works (through Dec. 14); Salient Features: Trees of Old Forests and Woodland Pastures (through Dec. 1); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- Photo Exhibits: WKU Project 68. Through Nov. 27. Jody Richards Hall Atrium. The Women Photojournalists of Washington, D.C. Through Nov. 27. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact School of Journalism & Broadcasting, (270) 745-4144.
- International Year of Cuba: Various events during the 2018-19 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Monday, November 26
- 5:30 p.m.: Recital: Voice Students of Beth Pope. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Tuesday, November 27
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Celebrations for a Long Winter’s Night. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
Wednesday, November 28
- 6 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Morgan State. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 7:30 p.m.: Student Recital: Jingwen Yang, piano. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.