Student Pubs, partners name six fellows for Summer 2018
- Monday, March 19th, 2018
Our Student Publications fellowship appointments for Summer 2018 are now complete:
- Charles Mason Ralph Fellow at the Owensboro Messenger-Inquirer: Evan Mattingly.
- Charles Mason Ralph Fellow at the Lexington Herald-Leader: Silas Walker.
- Tom Caudill Fellow at the Lexington Herald-Leader: Evan Heichelbech.
- Paul and Ellen Schuhmann Fellow at the Courier Journal: Emma Austin.
- College Heights Herald Fellow at Louisville Public Media/KyCIR: Emma Collins.
- Carla and Chad Carlton Fellow at C2 Strategic Communications: Nicole Elise Childress.
Students on the College Heights Herald and the Talisman put in 49 applications for our fellowships. I wish we had more we could offer through this particular program because we had so many strong applicants.
We launched our fellowship program in 2013, and we have had terrific partners from the outset. Still, we are continually looking at places and ways to expand it, and this year we added two new fellowships – at Louisville Public Media and at C2 Strategic Communications. Both broke new ground for us: The LPM fellowship will work most closely with the Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting and across broadcast and digital platforms, and the C2 Strategic fellowship marks our first outside a newsroom.
I’m excited we could add these two fellowships for 2018, and I hope we can grow the program further in future years.
It’s important to note that our fellowship program exists solely because of the generosity of our alumni and our partners, who provide all the funding to make these experiences possible.
If you are interested in supporting this program, go here, scroll to the bottom of the page and type “Student Publications Fellowship Fund” in the search box. The funds are housed in the WKU Foundation and the College Heights Foundation, meaning they are reserved for use in how the donor intended.
Congratulations to our 2018 fellows class, thank you to our partners, and best of luck to all our applicants!