Today@WKU: February 21, 2018
- WKU News
- Wednesday, February 21st, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for February 21, 2018.
- Geography professor completes 12th around-the-world educational tour: Dr. David Keeling, Distinguished University Professor of Geography in WKU's Department of Geography and Geology, returned recently from his 12th circumnavigation of the planet, completing a three-week around-the-world tour of Asia, Africa and South America, covering about 30,000 miles and representing WKU and the American Geographical Society as part of a geographic educational outreach program.
- Transfer Scholarship application deadline April 1 for fall 2018 admission: College students wanting to transfer to WKU may be eligible for up to $4,000 in scholarship assistance. The application deadline for the Transfer Scholarship is April 1 for fall 2018 admission.
- WKU Board of Regents to meet Feb. 23: The WKU Board of Regents will hold its first quarterly meeting at 9 a.m. Friday. The meeting will be in the Martin Regents Room of Jody Richards Hall.
- 2018 Winter Weather Communications Plan: Check out a reminder about WKU’s winter weather communications plan that provides a number of ways you can find out if classes are delayed, canceled or if a campus is closed.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Baseball: Relievers Fire 8 Zeroes to Clinch Midweek Win: On a scheduled bullpen day for the WKU Baseball pitching staff, a group of eight relievers combined for eight scoreless frames to lead the Hilltoppers to a 4-1 victory over Belmont on Tuesday afternoon. In the lineup, Chase Larsen knocked in the first two runs of the game and leadoff hitter Dillon Nelson reached in all four plate appearances and scored a run. Next: The Hilltoppers (2-2) host Northern Illinois for Friday to Sunday.
- Men’s basketball: WKU Announces 2018 Summer Camp Schedule: WKU Hilltopper Basketball announced its full schedule of summer camps Tuesday, with options available for a variety of ages of youth campers. WKU will host its High School Team Camp on June 7-9, its Overnight Camp on June 17-20 and its Day Camp on June 25-28. All will take place at E.A. Diddle Arena on the campus of WKU.
- WKU to host Black Excellence Exposition on Thursday: Young African-American students will step into the spotlight during the third annual Black Excellence Exposition at WKU.
- Hilltoppers earn Opening Day win over Belmont: WKU gave the Opening Day crowd at Nick Denes Field an in-depth glance at the new pitching rotation. The Hilltoppers used nine pitchers to defeat Belmont 4-1 in a midweek tilt to open the 2018 home slate.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: WKU SpiritFunder
- Topper Travelers Program 2018: The WKU Alumni Association is planning a Baltic Cruise across Northern Europe June 21-July 2. The 10-night cruise across the Baltic Sea aboard Marina will begin in Copenhagen, Denmark, with stops in Berlin, Germany; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; and Stockholm, Sweden. For information, visit alumni.wku.edu/baltic2018 or contact the Alumni Association at 800-842-9023 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: Instruments of American Excellence; A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through June 30); Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 18); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection; Emily Hendricksen, A Reflective Collection (through Feb. 24); David Marquez, Germination Series (through March 17). Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Various events and locations during 2017-18 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- Arts at WKU 2017-2018. Various events and locations. Contact Potter College of Arts & Letters, (270) 745-2344.
- Photographic Exhibition: Bosnia and Herzegovina: Then and Now. Through April 13. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact Tim Broekema, (270) 745-3055.
- Art Exhibition: Proof of Existence: An Exhibit of Work by Contemporary Artists of Bosnian and Balkan Origin. Through April 6. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Gallery. Contact Art, (270) 745-3944.
- Exhibit at Intercultural Student Engagement Center: Black History Month student artwork. Downing Student Union, room 2041. Contact ISEC, (270) 745-5066.
Wednesday, Feb. 21
- Noon: Ogden College of Science and Engineering Career Fair. Various locations in Ogden College. Contact Center for Career and Professional Development, (270) 745-3095.
- 3 p.m.: Black History Month Presentation: Randall Curry, mayor of Horse Cave. WKU Glasgow, room 131. Contact Audrey Robinson-Nkongola, (270) 659-6910.
- 6:30 p.m.: Wedge Visiting Scholar Presentation: Dr. Rena Subotnik, American Psychological Association. Gary Ransdell Hall. Contact Gifted Studies, (270) 745-6323.
- 6:30 p.m.: Gender Images Film Series: Norma Rae. Cherry Hall, room 125. Contact Gender & Women’s Studies, (270) 745-6477.
- 7:30 p.m.: Black History Trivia. Downing Student Union, room 3003. Contact Josclynn Brandon, (270) 745-4434.
- 7:30 p.m.: Guest Clarinet Recital. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Thursday, Feb. 22
- 8:30 a.m.: Wedge Visiting Scholar Presentation: Dr. Rena Subotnik, American Psychological Association. Knicely Conference Center. Contact Gifted Studies, (270) 745-6323.
- 3 p.m.: Mahurin Honors College Speaker Series: Narratives of (and in) Higher Education by Dr. Sarah Mahurin, dean of Timothy Dwight College at Yale. Honors College/International Center ballroom. Contact Mahurin Honors College, (270) 745-2081.
- 3:30 p.m.: BB&T Center for the Study of Capitalism Lecture Series: The Ethics of Transracialism by Rebecca Tuvel, Rhodes College. Guillaume Auditorium, Grise Hall. Contact Brian Strow, (270) 745-7082.
- 7 p.m.: Hilltopper Basketball vs. Charlotte. Diddle Arena. Coming Home King will be announced at halftime. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Starry Tales for a Winter Night. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 7 p.m.: Far Away Places Series: The Magic, Mystery and Misfortune of Modern Kenya by Nancy Rice, WKU Biology Department. Barnes & Noble, 1680 Campbell Lane, Bowling Green. Contact Brian Coutts, (270) 745-6221.
- 7 p.m.: Black Excellence Exposition, hosted by WKU Forensics. Downing Student Union Auditorium. Contact Chris Chandler, (270) 745-6340.
Friday, Feb. 23
- Triple T Farm Black Hereford Cattle Show & Sale. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Ag Expo Center, (270) 745-3976.
- 9 a.m.: Board of Regents Meeting. Martin Regents Room, Jody Richards Hall. Contact Bob Skipper, (270) 745-4295.
- 9 a.m.: Photojournalism Career Day. Jody Richards Hall. Contact School of Journalism & Broadcasting, (270) 745-4144.
- 3 p.m.: WKU Softball vs. Green Bay. Part of WKU Hilltopper Classic. WKU Softball Complex. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 3 p.m.: WKU Baseball vs. Northern Illinois. Nick Denes Field. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 5:30 p.m.: WKU Softball vs. Toledo. Part of WKU Hilltopper Classic. WKU Softball Complex. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 6 p.m.: Faraway Flix Film Series: Dukhtar. Cherry Hall, room 125. Contact Shaden Melky, (270) 745-5139.
- 7 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Charlotte. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 7 p.m.: Black History Spoken Word. Downing Student Union Nite Class. Contact Student Activities, (270) 745-2459.
- 7:30 p.m.: Performance: The Symphony at WKU. Van Meter Hall. Admission is $10; $5 for students. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- Today@WKU is a service of WKU Public Affairs. For more from WKU News, become a WKU Facebook fan, follow us on Twitter, visit the WKU News page, or check out What's Happening @WKU, “View from the Hill” segments, more News from Around Campus, WKU on You Tube or WKU webcams. Email us at email@example.com