Today@WKU: January 30, 2018
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Tuesday, January 30th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for January 30, 2018.
- WKU Forensics Team competes in three tournaments: WKU’s Forensics Team traveled to Saint Louis, Missouri, and DeKalb, Illinois, to take part in three tournaments the weekend of Jan. 27-28. At the tournament in Missouri, WKU’s team of 14 placed second in overall team sweepstakes, which combined individual events and debate, and third in individual events team sweepstakes. In Illinois, WKU’s team of 10 placed second in team sweepstakes at both tournaments.
- College Heights Herald wins top KPA excellence awards: The College Heights Herald, WKU’s student-run news organization, was named the top university news operation in the state at the 2018 Excellence in Kentucky Newspapers awards ceremony Friday (Jan. 26) in Lexington. The Herald won first place from the Kentucky Press Association for general excellence among university newspapers. In a separate ceremony Thursday (Jan. 25), the Herald won first place among all collegiate publications for general excellence in advertising.
- Winter 2018 edition of WKU SPIRIT magazine online: The online-only edition of the Winter 2018 WKU SPIRIT magazine is now available online. Featuring expanded content, videos and other interactive features, this issue includes special features from each of WKU’s academic colleges.
- WKU Week in Photos: Jan. 22-26, 2018: Check out the latest installment of WKU Week in Photos by Clinton Lewis and Bryan Lemon of WKU Public Affairs.
- 2018 Winter Weather Communications Plan: Check out a reminder about WKU’s winter weather communications plan that provides a number of ways you can find out if classes are delayed, canceled or if a campus is closed.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Women’s basketball: Brown Captures Third C-USA Player of the Week Honor: C-USA Player of the Year candidate Tashia Brown has been named the C-USA Player of the Week for the third time this season as announced by the conference office on Monday afternoon. Next: Brown and the Lady Toppers will return to action on Saturday at 2 p.m. as WKU welcomes Florida Atlantic to E.A. Diddle Arena for its first home game in more than two weeks.
- Worth the wait, life as a Hilltopper gives Anderson and family a fresh start in Kentucky: You’ve probably heard by now that Josh Anderson was ineligible for the first 15 games of WKU’s 2017-18 basketball season. He had spent this past summer catching up on his high school academics back in his home state of Louisiana, only there was some confusion as to when that coursework needed to be finalized and submitted to the NCAA for review. What you may not be aware of is why Anderson fell a bit behind on some of his high school studies in the first place – and why he needed a little extra time to complete them.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: WKU SpiritFunder
- Topper Travelers Program 2018: The WKU Alumni Association is planning a Baltic Cruise across Northern Europe June 21-July 2. The 10-night cruise across the Baltic Sea aboard Marina will begin in Copenhagen, Denmark, with stops in Berlin, Germany; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; and Stockholm, Sweden. For information, visit alumni.wku.edu/baltic2018 or contact the Alumni Association at 800-842-9023 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: Instruments of American Excellence; A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through June 30); Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts; New Kentuckians (through Feb. 2); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Various events and locations during 2017-18 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- Arts at WKU 2017-2018. Various events and locations. Contact Potter College of Arts & Letters, (270) 745-2344.
- Photographic Exhibition: Bosnia and Herzegovina: Then and Now. Jan. 31-April 13. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact Tim Broekema, (270) 745-3055.
- Art Exhibition: Proof of Existence: An Exhibit of Work by Contemporary Artists of Bosnian and Balkan Origin. Through April 6. Contact Art, (270) 745-3944.
Tuesday, Jan. 30
Wednesday, Jan. 31
- 6 p.m.: Exhibition Opening Reception: Bosnia and Herzegovina: Then and Now. Jody Richards Hall Atrium. Contact Tim Broekema, (270) 745-3055.
- 7:30 p.m.: Documentary Screening: Sarajevo Roses: A Cinematic Essay. Jody Richards Hall Auditorium. Contact Tim Broekema, (270) 745-3055.
- 7:30 p.m.: Faculty Recital: Wes Baldwin. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Thursday, Feb. 1
Friday, Feb. 2
- 7:30 p.m.: Cultural Enhancement Series: Yamato Drummers. Van Meter Hall. Free admission. Contact Cultural Enhancement, (270) 745-4375.
- Today@WKU is a service of WKU Public Affairs. For more from WKU News, become a WKU Facebook fan, follow us on Twitter, visit the WKU News page, or check out What's Happening @WKU, “View from the Hill” segments, more News from Around Campus, WKU on You Tube or WKU webcams. Email us at email@example.com