New Services beginning July 1st!!
- Author: Terri Cunningham
- Author: Friday, June 5th, 2009
Health Services is excited to announce that as of July 1st, Colposcopy Services and Breath Alcohol Technician/DOT Alcohol Testing will be available.
Colposcopy is a medical diagnostic procedure to examine an illuminated, magnified view of the cervix and the tissues of the vagina and vulva. Many premalignant lesions and malignant lesions in these areas have discernible characteristics which can be detected through the examination. It is done using a colposcope, which provides an enlarged view of the areas, allowing the colposcopist to visually distinguish normal from abnormal appearing tissue and take directed biopsies for further pathological examination. The main goal of a colposcopy is to prevent cervical cancer by detecting precancerous lesions early and treating them.
Ta'Neka Vaden, ARNP attended the American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology Conference in January 2009. The conference was very insightful. Participants gained knowledge and basic principles to evaluate, diagnose, and manage lower genital tract disease in women. Ms. Vaden has assisted and/or viewed 15 colposcopy surgeries and performed 5 hands-on procedures with the supervision of Dr. Trevor at Commonwealth Health Corporation (CHC).
Breath Alcohol Technician/DOT Alcohol Testing
If you are planning to work in the transportation industry or are performing tasks defined by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) as safety-sensitive, such as working on pipelines, driving a truck, operating a ferry, steering a train or repairing an airplane you may be subject to DOT workplace drug and alcohol testing.
WKUHS can also serve as a collection site for drug testing.
To learn more about the drug and alcohol testing visit the following sites:
- Drugs and Human Performance Fact Sheet. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/.
- Driving While You Are Taking Medications. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/.
- Common Drugs of Abuse. National Institute for Drug Abuse (NIDA) http://www.nida.nih.gov/.
- Substance Abuse. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA) http://www.workplace.samhsa.gov/.
- Drug Facts. Office of National Drug Policy Control (ONDCP) http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/.
- Prevention On-line. National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI) http://ncadi.samhsa.gov/.
For more detailed information read you workplace drug and alcohol policies and procedures.
To read the U.S. Department of Transportation Office of Drug & Alcohol Policy & Compliance click here.
When will I be tested?
Safety-sensitive employees are subject to drug or alcohol testing in the following situations:
- Reasonable Suspicion/Cause.
Dr. Patricia Blewett, MD is a certified Medical Reviewer Officer (MRO). She will conduct and oversee all Breath Alcohol Technician Testing/DOT Alcohol Testing. Other clinical staff members have been trained to assist with the laboratory collection and testing.
WKU Drug & Alcohol Abuse Prevention Policy & Resources - click here for information
For additional information about these new services call (270) 745-5641 and a WKUHS staff member will gladly assist you!