Job Opening: Staff Physician
- Terri F.
- Tuesday, December 11th, 2012
WKU Health Services
A Staff Physician is a licensed physician providing professional primary care medical services to patients of WKU Health Services. These services include, but are not limited to, diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic illnesses and injuries, health education, patient advocacy, referral, and collaboration with other health care professionals. Services related to health issues particular to young adults of college age including STI testing and counseling as well as annual women’s health visits are often rendered in this setting. Therefore, sensitivity to these issues and a willingness to discuss them with patients is necessary. This position reports to the Medical Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted, and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Provides direct patient care as a medical provider to patients of WKU Health Services. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Adherence to the principles of Evidence-based Medical Practices in the diagnosis and treatment of common illnesses.
- Application of epidemiological principles to disease management on a college campus
- Basic suturing and wound management skills
- Collaborates with nurses, ancillary clinicians, and other professionals on protocols and training
- Initiates communication with Medical Director, Clinical Nurse Manger, and Quality Assurance Coordinator on issues pertaining to quality of patient care
- Serves as resource for other physicians and nurse practitioners on staff
- Assists with reviews and signing off on the medical notes for the Nurse Practitioners
- Ensures that all licenses, certifications, and malpractice coverage remain current
- Initiate regular communication as needed in addition to regular meetings with the Medical Director on progress, updates, and needs of the clinical operations
- Assists with chart audits and all other QA procedures as needed
- Complete CME needed to maintain licensure giving particular attention to CME topics that are relevant to the services at WKU HS.
- In concert with appropriate managers, holds all clinical staff accountable for performance
- Independently initiates and follows up continuously with all clinical staff on procedures, assignments, and other issues as needed
- Maintain accurate patient records and documentation
- Collaborates with Counseling & Testing on patient care concerns
Marginal Job Duties:
- Initiates, collaborates, communicates, and participates in special projects with other WKU Health Services personnel on special tasks or committees for the improvement of the Health Service.
- Performs outreach talks and presentations to campus community
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Medical Director or Executive Director
- Assists health education with medical guidance and direction
- If needed, provides direct skills training and safety sessions
- Networks with outside colleagues and agencies for benchmarking purposes
- Graduate of an accredited medical school or osteopathic school of medicine, with Board Certification or Eligibility in Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, or Emergency Medicine
- An active, current, and unencumbered license to practice medicine in the State of Kentucky or eligibility to apply for a Kentucky medical license, current unrestricted DEA certification and eligibility for collaborative practice status with NP’s or PA’s
- One year clinical experience in an out-patient setting
- Medical Provider CPR certification
- The ability to communicate effectively with the student population as well as with faculty and staff
- Understanding of ambulatory health care management and the managed care environment
- Must independently perform assigned duties and seek opportunities for educational and professional growth
- Possess a working knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 coding practices
- Competency in Electronic Medical Records, computer, and word processing skills
- Skills in oral, written, and interpersonal communication
- Must have a fervent work ethic and commitment to excellence
Physical and Mental Abilities Required:
This position may require long periods of sitting, standing, computer use, or long periods on your feet if working in the clinical area. This position requires continuous follow up, communication, and attention to detail. The person must be self directed, have a drive for professional excellence, self-motivated, a critical thinker, and must have a willingness to learn. The ability to multitask and stay focused is essential. The employee must also possess the physical mobility required to reach, bend, stoop, and to lift supplies weighing approximately 10 - 25 lbs and support or assist in moving a patient weighing 150 – 250 lbs or more. The ability to establish and meet deadlines is essential. The people in this position must be able to handle the emotional stress of a job which deals with long hours and working with patients who themselves may be having personal issues. The successful candidate must have mental and physical stamina and flexibility to meet the demands of a busy group practice.
Negotiable and based on experience.
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates must submit a current resume, and names, addresses and daytime phone numbers of three professional references using the online application process. Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/wkujobs. For further assistance call (270) 745-5934. Please reference requisition number S3489. For full consideration, submit application materials on or before January 9, 2013. Position will remain open until filled.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, nationa