WKU to celebrate 'Nightmare on Normal Street' Homecoming Oct. 27-29
- WKU Alumni Association
- Thursday, October 27th, 2022
WKU will celebrate Homecoming 2022 with a “Nightmare on Normal Street” theme throughout the week concluding Saturday, Oct. 29, when the Hilltoppers take on Conference USA rival University of North Texas.
“We are so excited to be able to invite people back to the Hill for Homecoming 2022,” said Zach Marcum, Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement. “Our students never fail to impress with their intricate parade floats, and our talented athletes are always a blast to watch. The parade, which will begin at 5 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 28, always provides a wonderful point of connection between campus and the local community.”
Immediately following the parade, Hilltoppers are invited to gather at the steps of Cherry Hall on the WKU main campus for Big Red’s Roar, a pep rally featuring Coach Tyson Helton, the WKU Football team, the Big Red Marching Band, WKU Cheer, WKU Dance-Topperettes and a special appearance by Big Red.
“The Big Red’s Roar pep rally will return to Cherry Hall this year,” Marcum said. “What better place to celebrate the history of the Hill than the building that honors our first President?”
Homecoming Day on Oct. 29 will feature numerous reunions of organizations, Greek groups, athletic teams, academic programs and more. With the football game kicking off at 2:30 p.m., Tailgate & Celebrate will begin at noon.
As part of the week’s festivities, the WKU Alumni Association will honor the 31st class of the WKU Hall of Distinguished Alumni. Dr. Randall “Randy” Capps (’61) and Mary R. Nixon (’77) will be inducted into this group of noted alumni during a private luncheon sponsored by Franklin Bank & Trust on Oct. 28.
Marcum noted that the tradition of Homecoming is a promise to every Hilltopper.
“No matter how long it has been, no matter your experience, and no matter how far you’ve traveled, there will always be a home waiting for you on the Hill,” he said. “So come back and celebrate everything you love about WKU with the students, faculty and staff who make it all possible.”
The complete 2022 Homecoming schedule of events can be found at alumni.wku.edu/homecoming.
Thursday, Oct. 27
- Chili and Cheese + Pep Rally – Sponsored by English Lucas Priest & Owsley LLC and presented by Wendy’s of Bowling Green, the WKU Alumni Association and WBKO, the luncheon will be held from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. CT at Montana Grille. Proceeds benefit Junior Achievement of South Central Kentucky.
- Honoring Jonesville: Our People, Our Community, Our Legacy – The Jonesville Reconciliation Workgroup will host an exhibit and reception at the WKU Kentucky Museum to continue assessing the best ways to honor Jonesville. Remarks begin at 5 p.m. CT.
Friday, Oct. 28
- Munday Hall Dedication – Munday Hall, formerly Northeast Hall, was renamed in 2021 to honor Margaret Munday, a member of WKU's Hall of Distinguished Alumni and WKU's first African American student to enroll at the institution. Celebrate the building dedication at 9:30 a.m. CT outside of Munday Hall.
- WKU Hall of Distinguished Alumni – The 31st class of noted alumni will be inducted at a private luncheon sponsored by Franklin Bank & Trust.
- Homecoming Parade – The “Nightmare on Normal Street” Homecoming Parade will begin on the WKU main campus at Hardin Planetarium at 5 p.m., travel down State Street to Fountain Square Park, turn left on Main Street and immediately left on College Street, continuing up College Street to end in front of Cherry Hall.
- Big Red’s Roar – Immediately following the Homecoming Parade, Big Red’s Roar pep rally will take place at the steps of Cherry Hall at the end of the parade route.
- WKU Volleyball vs. UAB – The Hilltoppers take on UAB at 6 p.m. in E.A. Diddle Arena.
- WKU Soccer vs. Charlotte – The Hilltoppers take on Charlotte at 6 p.m. at the WKU Soccer Complex.
Saturday, Oct. 29
- Tailgate & Celebrate – Featuring all five academic colleges, Tailgate & Celebrate is open to all Hilltoppers. Members of the WKU Alumni Association can enjoy complimentary food and non-alcoholic beverages. Tailgate festivities begin at noon.
- WKU Football vs. North Texas – The Hilltoppers take on the Mean Green in the annual Homecoming game, with kickoff at 2:30 p.m. CT. The 2022 Homecoming queen will be crowned at halftime.
Here are some reminders about parking and traffic for Homecoming weekend:
More: View from the Hill Homecoming preview
For information, contact Zach Marcum at email@example.com or (270) 745-2688.
Western Kentucky University prides itself on positioning its students, faculty and staff for long term success. As a student-centered, applied research university, WKU helps students expand on classroom learning by integrating education with real-world applications in the communities we serve. Our hilltop campus is located in Bowling Green, Kentucky, which was recently named by Reader’s Digest as one of the nicest towns in America, just an hour’s drive from Nashville, Tennessee.
Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.