WKU Regents appoint Atici, Hughey as University Distinguished Professors
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Friday, May 11th, 2018
The WKU Board of Regents on Friday (May 11) appointed Ferhan Atici and Aaron Hughey as University Distinguished Professors for 2018-19.
Dr. Atici, a professor in the Mathematics Department, has been at WKU since 2003. She is an internationally recognized expert in the field of time scales and recently applied her expertise to modeling cancer tumor growth associated with certain types of treatment.
Dr. Hughey, a professor in the Department of Counseling and Student Affairs, joined the WKU faculty in 1991. His expertise in the area of Student Affairs and the interplay between curricular and co-curricular aspects of the college experience is helping students persist to graduation and be prepared for the world of work.
“This is the highest honor a university can bestow upon a faculty member,” Provost David Lee said.
In other business, the Board:
- Approved faculty emeritus status for John A. Hardin, who taught in the Department of History of 27 years.
- Approved an honorary doctorate of fine arts for Bowling Green native Sam Bush. Bush is an American bluegrass fiddler and mandolin player who has been nominated for 13 Grammys, winning three, and has received the Lifetime Achievement for Instrumentalist Award from the American Music Association.
- Approved an employment contract with Greg Collins as the women’s basketball head coach with a base salary of $200,000.
- Approved a letter of appointment for Terry Ballman as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Dr. Ballman, currently the Dean of the College of Arts and Letters at California State University, San Bernardino, will begin at WKU Aug. 1.
Contact: Bob Skipper, (270) 745-4295