Today@WKU: May 10, 2018
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Thursday, May 10th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for May 10, 2018.
Six WKU students have been offered Fulbright U.S. Student Grants for 2018-19. From left: Sarah Angelle, Sarah Linder, Logan Mitchell, Lily Nellans, Maggie Sullivan and Elizabeth Upshur.
- 6 WKU students awarded Fulbright U.S. Student grants: Six WKU students have been offered Fulbright U.S. Student Grants for the 2018-19 academic year from the U.S. Department of State and the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board: Sarah Angelle of Monticello; Sarah Linder of Louisville; Logan Mitchell of Hebron; Lily Nellans of Windsor Heights, Iowa; Maggie Sullivan of Louisville; and Elizabeth Upshur of Antioch, Tennessee. Recipients of Fulbright awards are selected on the basis of academic and professional achievement as well as record of service and leadership potential in their respective fields.
- Hopkinsville seniors accomplish goal to finish in four with minimal debt: WKU graduating seniors Martajia Armstrong and LaDeidre Mumford, both from Hopkinsville, are two cousins who came to college with a plan to finish in four years with the least amount of debt possible, and they accomplished their mission.
- David Heard Memorial Scholarship Fund announces first recipients: Four WKU students were named the first recipients of the David Heard Memorial Scholarship on May 5 during the 2nd Annual David Heard Memorial Bass Fishing Tournament at Barren River Lake State Resort Park.
- MBA Program Ranked No. 72 by U.S. News: The Gordon Ford College of Business’s Online MBA Program was recently ranked No. 72 nationally by U.S. News for the second year running, a big leap from No. 138, the position the program held three years ago.
- WKU Board of Regents to meet May 11: The WKU Board of Regents will conduct its second quarterly meeting on Friday (May 11). The meeting will begin at 9 a.m. in the Martin Regents Room, Jody Richards Hall.
- 183rd Commencement May 11: Check out information for WKU’s 183rd Commencement on Friday (May 11) and special recognition ceremonies on Saturday (May 12). More: View from the Hill; weekend event parking information; event parking video; road closings and transit changes
- Finals Week Transit & Parking Changes: Check out a reminder from Parking & Transportation about transit and parking changes during finals week. More: Spaces Near Preston Loading Dock Reserved; Summer Session Parking & Transit Changes
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Softball: Hot Bats, Aikey's Career Day Propel Tops of Quarterfinals Before Setback to #4 LA Tech: A career-best nine strikeouts off the arm of Kelsey Aikey combined with timely Hilltopper hitting propelled WKU Softball into the Conference USA Championship semifinals for the second-straight season before a loss to preseason favorite Louisiana Tech ended the Red and White's 2018 campaign. Eighth-seeded WKU upended No. 5 seed Marshall in a 5-2 decision before the Lady Techsters took down the Hilltoppers 6-1
- Track & Field: WKU Heads to Houston for C-USA Outdoor Championships: WKU Track and Field is set to compete at the 2018 Conference USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships this weekend at the Wendel D. Ley Track in Houston, Texas. The meet will begin today with the heptathlon and decathlon competitions and continue through Saturday evening.
- WKU gears up for International Year of Cuba: Paula Upright, who grew up playing baseball and maintains that love in adulthood, is thrilled to be traveling to Cuba this summer along with five other WKU faculty members as part the university’s International Year of Cuba.
- Mesonet weather station to be located in Pulaski County: Plans are on track for a Mesonet weather station to be placed at Northern Middle School. During a groundbreaking ceremony held Tuesday, members of the Pulaski County School District, local leaders, members of the state and local Farm Bureaus and a representative of WKU — Mesonet’s originator — gathered to celebrate their partnership of funding and building the weather station.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: Homecoming 2018 has been set for Oct. 27; game time and additional details TBA. For a listing of events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers Program 2018
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing email@example.com or connecting with us on social media. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Admitted Student Nights: The WKU Office of Admissions is hosting several admitted student nights in various communities. These events are for high school seniors that have been admitted to WKU and their families. The Admissions Counselor for your area will be there to discuss your next steps and answer any questions you may have. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor.
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: Instruments of American Excellence; A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through June 30); Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 18); 2018 Side by Side (through June 30); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- WKU Summer Office Hours. May 14-Aug. 10. 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Friday.
Thursday, May 10
- Final Exams.
- 9 a.m.: Social Work Pinning Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 1037. Contact Social Work, (270) 745-5313.
- 3:45 p.m.: University Senate Meeting. Faculty House. Contact Eric Kondratieff, (270) 745-8861.
- 4 p.m.: Future Healthcare Professionals Closing Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 3024. Contact Catherine Malin, (270) 745-3325.
- 4:30 p.m.: International Graduation Reception. Mahurin Honors College/International Center multipurpose room. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- 6 p.m.: WKU Glasgow Graduand Ceremony. TJ Pavilion Community Room, 310 N L Rogers Wells Blvd., Glasgow. Contact WKU Glasgow, (270) 861-6900.
- 6 p.m.: Graduate Student Awards Dinner. Knicely Conference Center. Contact Graduate School, (270) 745-2446.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: MoonBeings. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
Friday, May 11
- Final Exams End.
- 9 a.m.: Board of Regents Meeting. Martin Regents Room, Jody Richards Hall. Contact Bob Skipper, (270) 745-4295.
- 11 a.m.: Mahurin Honors College Graduation Luncheon. Knicely Conference Center. Contact Mahurin Honors College, (270) 745-2081.
- Noon: WKU Baseball vs. FIU. Nick Denes Field. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 1 p.m.: Department of Public Health Hooding and Award Ceremony. Mahurin Honors College-International Center, room 1011. Contact Public Health, (270) 745-2015.
- 1 p.m.: Doctor of Physical Therapy Pre-Commencement Awards Ceremony. Downing Student Union Auditorium. Contact Physical Therapy, (270) 745-4071.
- 2 p.m.: Organizational Leadership Hooding and Awards Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 3020. Contact Organizational Leadership, (270) 745-8973.
- 2 p.m.: ROTC Commissioning Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact ROTC, (270) 745-4293.
- 3 p.m.: Dental Hygiene Pinning Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 3023. Contact Dental Hygiene, (270) 745-2427.
- 3 p.m.: Recreation and Sport Administration Recognition Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 3003. Contact Recreation Administration, (270) 745-2498.
- 5 p.m.: Topper Walk for WKU Class of 2018. Kentucky Museum to Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. Graduates should arrive by 4 p.m. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 6 p.m.: 183rd Commencement Ceremony. Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 6:30 p.m.: Starz Elite Spring Recital. Van Meter Hall. Contact Campus and Community Events, (270) 745-2497.
- 7 p.m.: Gatton Academy Class of 2018 Senior Night. Sloan Convention Center. Contact Gatton Academy, (270) 745-6565.
- 7 p.m.: Big Red Bash. WKU South Lawn. Commencement celebration includes food, music and fireworks. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
Saturday, May 12
- 8 a.m.: College of Health and Human Services Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact College of Health and Human Services, (270) 745-2425.
- 10 a.m.: University College Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact University College, (270) 745-4092.
- 10 a.m.: Gatton Academy Graduation. Van Meter Hall. Contact Gatton Academy, (270) 745-6565.
- 11:30 a.m.: Southern Kentucky Team Penning. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Ag Expo Center, (270) 745-3976.
- 11:30 a.m.: College of Education and Behavioral Sciences Graduate Reception. Gary Ransdell Hall, second and third floor atrium. Contact College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, (270) 745-4664.
- Noon: Ogden College of Science and Engineering Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact Ogden College, (270) 745-4449.
- 1 p.m.: WKU Baseball vs. FIU. Nick Denes Field. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 1 p.m.: Department of Folk Studies & Anthropology Reception, Awards and Hooding Ceremony. Kentucky Museum. Contact Folk Studies & Anthropology, (270) 745-6549.
- 1 p.m.: Department of Political Science Graduation Reception. Downing Student Union, room 1037. Contact Political Science, (270) 745-4559.
- 1:30 p.m.: Department of Philosophy and Religion Graduation Reception. Cherry Hall, room 316. Contact Philosophy and Religion, (270) 745-3136.
- 2 p.m.: College of Education and Behavioral Sciences Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, (270) 745-4662.
- 4 p.m.: Gordon Ford College of Business Commencement Reception and MBA Gathering. Grise Hall backyard. Contact Gordon Ford College of Business, (270) 745-6311.
- 4 p.m.: Potter College of Arts & Letters Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact Potter College, (270) 745-2344.
- 4 p.m.: Master of Accountancy Hooding Ceremony and Reception. Downing Student Union, room 3020. Contact Accounting, (270) 745-3895.
- 6 p.m.: Gordon Ford College of Business Recognition Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact Gordon Ford College of Business, (270) 745-6311.
Sunday, May 13
- 10 a.m.: Residence Halls Close. Note: Bemis Lawrence Hall open for summer sessions. Contact Housing, (270) 745-4359.
- 1 p.m.: WKU Baseball vs. FIU. Nick Denes Field. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: MoonBeings. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- Today@WKU is a service of WKU Public Affairs. For more from WKU News, become a WKU Facebook fan, follow us on Twitter, visit the WKU News page, or check out What's Happening @WKU, “View from the Hill” segments, more News from Around Campus, WKU on You Tube or WKU webcams. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org