Today@WKU: May 9, 2018
- Author: WKU News
- Author: Wednesday, May 9th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for May 9, 2018.
- WKU students making 6th Bike4Alz cross country ride: Eleven members of a WKU fraternity will make the sixth Bike4Alz cross country ride this summer to raise money for Alzheimer’s research.
- WKU’s student Kentucky Public Health Association nominated for The Team Volunteers In Action Award: WKU’s student Kentucky Public Health Association (KPHA) was nominated for The Team Volunteers In Action Award for its partnership with Bowling Green Junior High’s Family Resource Center (FRC).
- What’s Happening at WKU: Check out a list of events through May 26.
- WKU Board of Regents to meet May 11: The WKU Board of Regents will conduct its second quarterly meeting on Friday (May 11). The meeting will begin at 9 a.m. in the Martin Regents Room, Jody Richards Hall.
- 183rd Commencement May 11: Check out information for WKU’s 183rd Commencement on Friday (May 11) and special recognition ceremonies on Saturday (May 12).More: View from the Hill; weekend event parking information; event parking video; road closings and transit changes
- Finals Week Transit & Parking Changes: Check out a reminder from Parking & Transportation about transit and parking changes during finals week. More: Summer Session Parking & Transit Changes
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Softball: Hilltoppers Open C-USA Championship This Morning in Charlotte: One of the final eight teams competing in Conference USA for the second-straight year, eighth-seeded WKU Softball will open play at the C-USA Championship today with an 11 a.m. CT tilt against No. 5 seed Marshall. More: 3 Hilltoppers Named to C-USA All-Freshman Team
- WKU graduation is a celebration for students and the economy: As nearly 3,300 students will walk away with degrees this weekend, thousands of family and friends will drive in to the city—leaving dollars in their path. “Graduation for WKU is pretty much a city-wide sellout for the hotels here in Bowling Green,” BG Area Lodging Association Board Member, Drue Eberhardt says, “a lot of us have been booked up for quite a while.”
- Hilltopper great Johnson preparing for next move now as a professional: Justin Johnson wasted little time beginning the next phase of his basketball life. Days after playing his final game as a Hilltopper in a 69-64 loss to Utah in a National Invitational Tournament semifinal in New York, Johnson headed to Miami, Fla., to begin to focus on life as a professional basketball player. “My body has been the big thing – I’ve dropped weight, slimmed down,” Johnson said Tuesday about his training. “It’s going good though. Just working on NBA 3s, extending the three-point shot. Just getting quicker, really.”
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: Homecoming 2018 has been set for Oct. 27; game time and additional details TBA. For a listing of events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: WKU SpiritFunder; Topper Travelers Program 2018
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing email@example.com or connecting with us on social media. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Admitted Student Nights: The WKU Office of Admissions is hosting several admitted student nights in various communities. These events are for high school seniors that have been admitted to WKU and their families. The Admissions Counselor for your area will be there to discuss your next steps and answer any questions you may have. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor.
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: Instruments of American Excellence; A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through June 30); Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 18); 2018 Side by Side (through June 30); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- WKU Summer Office Hours. May 14-Aug. 10. 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Friday.
Wednesday, May 9
- Final Exam schedule.
- 10 a.m.: Budget Model Open Forum. Downing Student Union Auditorium. Contact Carolyn Green, (270) 745-2434.
- 1 p.m.: Performer of the Semester. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 2 p.m.: ISEC Graduation Celebration. Downing Student Union Auditorium. Contact ISEC, (270) 745-5066.
Thursday, May 10
- Final Exam schedule.
- 9 a.m.: Social Work Pinning Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 1037. Contact Social Work, (270) 745-5313.
- 3:45 p.m.: University Senate Meeting. Faculty House. Contact Eric Kondratieff, (270) 745-8861.
- 4 p.m.: Future Healthcare Professionals Closing Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 3024. Contact Catherine Malin, (270) 745-3325.
- 4:30 p.m.: International Graduation Reception. Mahurin Honors College/International Center multipurpose room. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- 6 p.m.: WKU Glasgow Graduand Ceremony. TJ Pavilion Community Room, 310 N L Rogers Wells Blvd., Glasgow. Contact WKU Glasgow, (270) 861-6900.
- 6 p.m.: Graduate Student Awards Dinner. Knicely Conference Center. Contact Graduate School, (270) 745-2446.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: MoonBeings. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
Friday, May 11
- Final Exams End.
- 9 a.m.: Board of Regents Meeting. Martin Regents Room, Jody Richards Hall. Contact Bob Skipper, (270) 745-4295.
- 11 a.m.: Mahurin Honors College Graduation Luncheon. Knicely Conference Center. Contact Mahurin Honors College, (270) 745-2081.
- Noon: WKU Baseball vs. FIU. Nick Denes Field. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 1 p.m.: Department of Public Health Hooding and Award Ceremony. Mahurin Honors College-International Center, room 1011. Contact Public Health, (270) 745-2015.
- 1 p.m.: Doctor of Physical Therapy Pre-Commencement Awards Ceremony. Downing Student Union Auditorium. Contact Physical Therapy, (270) 745-4071.
- 2 p.m.: Organizational Leadership Hooding and Awards Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 3020. Contact Organizational Leadership, (270) 745-8973.
- 2 p.m.: ROTC Commissioning Ceremony. Diddle Arena. Contact ROTC, (270) 745-4293.
- 3 p.m.: Dental Hygiene Pinning Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 3023. Contact Dental Hygiene, (270) 745-2427.
- 3 p.m.: Recreation and Sport Administration Recognition Ceremony. Downing Student Union, room 3003. Contact Recreation Administration, (270) 745-2498.
- 5 p.m.: Topper Walk for WKU Class of 2018. Kentucky Museum to Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. Graduates should arrive by 4 p.m. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 6 p.m.: 183rd Commencement Ceremony. Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- 6:30 p.m.: Starz Elite Spring Recital. Van Meter Hall. Contact Campus and Community Events, (270) 745-2497.
- 7 p.m.: Gatton Academy Class of 2018 Senior Night. Sloan Convention Center. Contact Gatton Academy, (270) 745-6565.
- 7 p.m.: Big Red Bash. WKU South Lawn. Commencement celebration includes food, music and fireworks. Contact Registrar, (270) 745-3351.
- Today@WKU is a service of WKU Public Affairs. For more from WKU News, become a WKU Facebook fan, follow us on Twitter, visit the WKU News page, or check out What's Happening @WKU, “View from the Hill” segments, more News from Around Campus, WKU on You Tube or WKU webcams. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org