Today@WKU: March 23, 2018
- WKU News
- Friday, March 23rd, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for March 23, 2018.
- WKU to celebrate 2018 Fulbright Week April 2-6: WKU will celebrate its third annual Fulbright Week April 2-6 with events for prospective students and faculty. The Fulbright Program is the U.S. government’s flagship international exchange program seeking to increase mutual understanding between Americans and the people of other countries.
- WKU faculty member fashions career & research from love of sewing: WKU graduate Carrie Cox, assistant professor of Fashion Merchandising, who wrote a research paper on a Shaker silk kerchief as an undergraduate. She has revisited the research since returning to WKU in 2015.
- WKU Agriculture Students Awarded Scholarships: Two WKU Agriculture students are recipients of scholarships awarded by The Garden Club of Kentucky, Inc. for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- WKU's 48th Annual Student Research Conference Saturday: More than 350 students will present at WKU’s 48th Annual Student Research Conference on Saturday at Downing Student Union.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Softball: Quick Start Leads Hilltoppers Past Jacksonville State, 6-2: WKU Softball jumped out to an early lead and never looked back as the Hilltoppers improved to 19-11 on the season with a 6-2 win over defending OVC champion Jacksonville State Thursday afternoon. Next: WKU at Indiana at 3 p.m. Tuesday.
- Baseball: Toppers Travel to Houston for First C-USA Road Series: WKU Baseball's first Conference USA challenge is on the horizon, as the Hilltoppers take on Rice for a three-game set this weekend. The series at Reckling Park will begin with first pitch tonight at 6:30 p.m. and all three contests will be streamed on CUSA.tv.
- Tennis: WKU to Play Cincinnati, Middle Tennessee: Lady Topper Tennis will travel to Cincinnati, Ohio, and Murfreesboro, Tenn., to face off against the Bearcats of Cincinnati this afternoon and Conference USA foe Middle Tennessee on Sunday.
- Track & Field: WKU to Open Outdoor Season at Vanderbilt's Black and Gold Invitational: WKU will head south this weekend to Nashville, Tenn., to compete in Vanderbilt's Black and Gold Invitational. There are more than 500 athletes from 15 teams participating in the Invitational, scheduled for today and Saturday at the Vanderbilt Track and Field Complex.
- Women's appreciation march held on WKU's campus: Thursday evening on WKU's campus, the Black Student Alliance group held a women's appreciation march.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: WKU SpiritFunder
- Topper Travelers Program 2018: The WKU Alumni Association is planning a Baltic Cruise across Northern Europe June 21-July 2. The 10-night cruise across the Baltic Sea aboard Marina will begin in Copenhagen, Denmark, with stops in Berlin, Germany; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; and Stockholm, Sweden. For information, visit alumni.wku.edu/baltic2018 or contact the Alumni Association at 800-842-9023 or email@example.com.
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Upcoming Important Dates/Deadlines: Admitted Student Nights; Housing Priority Deadline March 31; Spring TOP Dates: April 13 (Honors), April 14, April 20, April 28 and May 4. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Admitted Student Nights: The WKU Office of Admissions is hosting several admitted student nights in various communities. These events are for high school seniors that have been admitted to WKU and their families. The Admissions Counselor for your area will be there to discuss your next steps and answer any questions you may have. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor.
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: Instruments of American Excellence; A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through June 30); Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 18); US Bank Celebration of the Arts (through April 7); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection. Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Various events and locations during 2017-18 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- Arts at WKU 2017-2018. Various events and locations. Contact Potter College of Arts & Letters, (270) 745-2344.
- Photographic Exhibition: Bosnia and Herzegovina: Then and Now. Through April 13. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact Tim Broekema, (270) 745-3055.
- Art Exhibition: Proof of Existence: An Exhibit of Work by Contemporary Artists of Bosnian and Balkan Origin. Through April 6. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Gallery. Contact Art, (270) 745-3944.
- 2018 Fulbright Week. Various events and locations. April 2-6. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
Friday, March 23
- 45th Annual History Contest. Diddle Arena. Contact Tamara Van Dyken, (270) 745-3842.
- 9:45 a.m.: BG OnStage School Day Performance: Schoolhouse Rock Live! Jr. Van Meter Hall. Contact BG OnStage, (270) 904-1382.
- 11:30 a.m.: Student Recital. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 6:30 p.m.: BG OnStage Performance: Schoolhouse Rock Live! Jr. Van Meter Hall. Contact BG OnStage, (270) 904-1382.
- 7 p.m.: Human iPod featuring John Rush. DSU Nite Class. Contact Student Activities, (270) 745-2459.
- 7:30 p.m.: Student Recital: Tanner Age. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 8 p.m.: Dance Big Red. Preston Health and Activities Center. Contact Dana Matukas, (270) 935-9081.
Saturday, March 24
- 7:30 a.m.: 48th Annual Student Research Conference. Downing Student Union third floor. Contact Research, (270) 745-6733.
- 9 a.m.: Special Needs Expo. Knicely Conference Center. Contact Suzanne Vitale Clinical Education Complex, (270) 745-2419.
- 10 a.m.: 48th Annual Student Research Conference Keynote Lecture: Neuroplasticity: Mapping a Path from Undergraduate to Postdoctoral Clinical Research by Dr. Kendra Cherry-Allen, Johns Hopkins Medical Institute. Downing Student Union, room 3020. Contact Research, (270) 745-6733.
- 11 a.m.: West Kentucky Horse Sales. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Wayne Boyd, (270) 365-7272.
- 11 a.m.: March for Our Lives. Cherry Hall to Fountain Square Park. Contact Center for Citizenship & Social Justice, (270) 745-3217.
- 5 p.m.: Revolution 91.7 Alumni Reunion. Faculty House. Contact School of Journalism & Broadcasting, (270) 745-4144.
Sunday, March 25
- 9 a.m.: HOLI Festival 2018. Preston Center Lawn. Contact Lakshmi Devulapalli, (270) 790-7174
- 2 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Starry Tales for a Winter Night. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 3 p.m.: Faculty Recital: Commemorating Debussey, 100 Years Later. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Monday, March 26
- 10 a.m.: Sexual Assault Prevention Month Kickoff Event. Downing Student Union, first floor. Contact Counseling & Testing Center, (270) 745-3159.
- 2 p.m.: Sexual Assault Prevention Month Proclamation Signing. Downing Student Union, first floor. Contact Counseling & Testing Center, (270) 745-3159.
- 3 p.m.: Exhibit Opening: What Were You Wearing. Part of Sexual Assault Prevention Month. Downing Student Union, room 2041. Contact Intercultural Student Engagement Center, (270) 745-5066.
- 5 p.m.: Student Recital: Grace Kim. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Recital Hall. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
- 7 p.m.: Creative Writing Reading Series: Brad Aaron Modlin. Cherry Hall, room 125. Contact English, (270) 745-3043.
- Today@WKU is a service of WKU Public Affairs. For more from WKU News, become a WKU Facebook fan, follow us on Twitter, visit the WKU News page, or check out What's Happening @WKU, “View from the Hill” segments, more News from Around Campus, WKU on You Tube or WKU webcams. Email us at email@example.com