Today@WKU: March 7, 2018
- WKU News
- Wednesday, March 7th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for March 7, 2018.
- WKU Education professor to be honored at University of Illinois: Dr. Vicki D. Stayton, professor emerita in WKU’s College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, will be honored Friday (March 9) by the University of Illinois College of Education.
- Partnerships, Friendships Credited with Successful AnaBaptist Health Outreach: Health care professionals are seeing tremendous success with a health services program in three Western Kentucky Anabaptist (Mennonite and Amish) communities thanks to the vision more than two decades ago of a group of nursing students at WKU.
- There Is Still Time to Register for WKU Summer Start: It’s not too late to register for WKU Summer Start! This program allows first-year students to earn 6 credit hours, experience campus life, create effective study habits and become acclimated to college before their first college term begins in the fall. Students receive a well-rounded introduction to undergraduate academic and social life at WKU.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Baseball: Toppers Beat Bruins With 17-Hit, 5-Homerun Attack: Behind 17 hits - including five homeruns - and timely pitching, WKU Baseball defeated Belmont by a score of 15-7 on Tuesday afternoon. Tyler Robertson blasted two homeruns and had five RBI, while Ray Zuberer III had four hits out of the leadoff spot, both career-high marks. Next: WKU hosts Bowling Green for a three-game series Friday-Sunday at Nick Denes Field.
- Athletics: WKU Adds Arkansas to Future Home Men's Basketball Schedule in Three-Game, Multi-Sport Series: WKU and Arkansas have agreed to a three-game series over men's basketball and football which brings the Southeastern Conference's Razorbacks to E.A. Diddle Arena in 2019-20. As part of the agreement, the Hilltoppers will travel to Fayetteville in 2019 for a single football game and have a home-and-home series in men's basketball. WKU will travel to Fayetteville during the 2018-19 season in men's basketball and receive a return visit the following season.
- Women’s basketball: Lady Toppers Capture C-USA Defensive Player, Freshman and Sixth Player of the Year Honors: One day after three players earned All-C-USA team accolades, three Lady Toppers have picked up individual honors from the conference office as announced Tuesday morning, with Ivy Brown being named C-USA Defensive Player of the Year, Raneem Elgedawy picking up C-USA Freshman of the Year honors and Dee Givens bringing home the C-USA Sixth Player of the Year award.
- Softball: WKU Set for First Midweek Tilt as SIUE Visits The Hill: With four weekends of tournament play under its belt, WKU Softball is set for its first midweek tilt of the year as SIUE is set to visit The Hill today for a 4 p.m. CT contest.
- Women’s golf: Joiner Ties Second-Best Tourney Score in Program History, Finishes Third at UNF Collegiate: WKU sophomore golfer Mary Joiner tied the second-best 54-hole score in program history Tuesday, finishing third individually at North Florida's UNF Collegiate. Joiner finished with a 4-under 212 (69-73-70) total at the par-72, 5,926-yard Jacksonville Golf and Country Club, tying her own career low previously reached in September at the USA Intercollegiate. The 212 tally was just one stroke off Ellinor Haag's program record of 211 set in 2014. Joiner now owns three of the top four 54-hole scores in Lady Topper history.
- Lady Toppers arrive in Frisco re-energized, searching for bench consistency: It’s back to the drawing board for the Lady Toppers. Regrouping into the same WKU team that put itself in position to win a regular-season championship is what the Lady Toppers want to get back to, not the team that missed out on that goal by losing two straight to close the regular season. WKU (21-8, 12-4 Conference USA) took the floor Tuesday night for its only practice at The Star before kicking off the C-USA tournament in the quarterfinals Thursday at 1:30 p.m. against the winner of Florida Atlantic-Texas-San Antonio.
- Hilltoppers get first look at unique tournament setup: Twenty-Four Conference USA men’s and women’s basketball teams this week will experience a new and unique setup for the league’s tournament. The men’s and women’s tourneys are taking place this week at The Star, a sports and entertainment complex that serves as headquarters for the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys.
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: WKU SpiritFunder; Conference USA basketball tournament information
- Topper Travelers Program 2018: The WKU Alumni Association is planning a Baltic Cruise across Northern Europe June 21-July 2. The 10-night cruise across the Baltic Sea aboard Marina will begin in Copenhagen, Denmark, with stops in Berlin, Germany; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; and Stockholm, Sweden. For information, visit alumni.wku.edu/baltic2018 or contact the Alumni Association at 800-842-9023 or email@example.com.
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- #ClimbWithUs: The WKU Office of Admissions helps future Hilltoppers as they start their journey on The Hill. You can reach us by calling 270-745-2551, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or connecting with us on social media. Upcoming Important Dates/Deadlines: Admitted Student Nights; Housing Priority Deadline March 31; Spring TOP Dates: April 13 (Honors), April 14, April 20, April 28 and May 4. Students can reserve their TOP date and take their placement exams at www.wku.edu/top
- Useful links for prospective/admitted students: Campus tours; Let’s Talk, Topper; Admissions Timeline; Topper Orientation Program; Scholarships; Housing; MASTER Plan
- Admitted Student Nights: The WKU Office of Admissions is hosting several admitted student nights in various communities. These events are for high school seniors that have been admitted to WKU and their families. The Admissions Counselor for your area will be there to discuss your next steps and answer any questions you may have. Upcoming events include the following: Louisville: Wednesday, March 7, 6:30 p.m. ET at Jeffersontown Branch Public Library. Contact: email@example.com; Lexington: Wednesday, March 21, 6 p.m. ET at Lexington Public Library, Central Location (Room A). Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Other admitted student nights are being planned. Visit https://www.wku.edu/admissions/counselors/ or call 270-745-2551 to get in touch with your WKU Admissions Counselor.
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: Instruments of American Excellence; A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through June 30); Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 18); US Bank Celebration of the Arts (through April 7); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection; David Marquez, Germination Series (through March 17). Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Various events and locations during 2017-18 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- Arts at WKU 2017-2018. Various events and locations. Contact Potter College of Arts & Letters, (270) 745-2344.
- Photographic Exhibition: Bosnia and Herzegovina: Then and Now. Through April 13. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact Tim Broekema, (270) 745-3055.
- Art Exhibition: Proof of Existence: An Exhibit of Work by Contemporary Artists of Bosnian and Balkan Origin. Through April 6. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Gallery. Contact Art, (270) 745-3944.
Wednesday, March 7
- 4 p.m.: Bosnian Coffee Demonstration. Faculty House. Contact Kentucky Folklife Program, (270) 745-4133.
- 5 p.m.: WKU Softball vs. SIUE. WKU Softball Complex. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
Thursday, March 8
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Starry Tales for a Winter Night. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 7 p.m.: Kentucky Live Series: Altogether Fitting and Proper: Civil War Battlefields Preservation in History, Memory and Policy, 1861-2015 by Timothy B. Smith, University of Tennessee-Martin. Barnes & Noble, 1680 Campbell Lane, Bowling Green. Contact Brian Coutts, (270) 745-6221.
- 7:30 p.m.: Concert: WKU Choirs. Van Meter Hall. Admission is $5; $3 for students. Contact Music, (270) 745-3751.
Friday, March 9
- 3 p.m.: WKU Baseball vs. Bowling Green. Nick Denes Field. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 6 p.m.: Residence Halls Close for Spring Break. Halls reopen at 10 a.m. March 18. Note: Barnes-Campbell, Bemis Lawrence, Northeast and Bates-Runner halls remain open during spring break. Contact Housing, (270) 745-4359.
Saturday, March 10
- 1 p.m.: WKU Baseball vs. Bowling Green. Nick Denes Field. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 2 p.m.: No Limits! Monster Trucks. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Ag Expo Center, (270) 745-3976.
- 7 p.m.: No Limits! Monster Trucks. L.D. Brown Agricultural Exposition Center. Contact Ag Expo Center, (270) 745-3976.
- Today@WKU is a service of WKU Public Affairs. For more from WKU News, become a WKU Facebook fan, follow us on Twitter, visit the WKU News page, or check out What's Happening @WKU, “View from the Hill” segments, more News from Around Campus, WKU on You Tube or WKU webcams. Email us at email@example.com