Today@WKU: February 6, 2018
- WKU News
- Tuesday, February 6th, 2018
Welcome to Today@WKU, the daily newsletter from WKU Public Affairs, for February 6, 2018.
- 4 WKU students honored in Hearst writing, multimedia competitions: Four WKU students have been honored in writing and multimedia competitions in the 2017-2018 Hearst Journalism Awards Program.
- WKU Forensics Team competes in Illinois and Murray: WKU’s Forensics Team traveled to Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, and Murray to take part in four tournaments the weekend of Feb. 3-4.
- WKU Foundation to increase philanthropic impact: The WKU Foundation Board of Trustees increased its spending allocation for endowed funds in support of WKU by one-half percent, effective July 1, 2018, during its quarterly board meeting on February 2. This marks the first increase in spending since July 2012. Additionally, the WKU Foundation announced that all endowed funds are currently operating with a surplus above the benefactors’ original gift amount.
- Record number of participants expected at IdeaFestival Bowling Green: The fifth annual IdeaFestival Bowling Green will be held in the Van Meter Auditorium and Downing Student Union at WKU from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Feb. 15.
- WKU Week in Photos for Jan. 29-Feb. 2: Check out the latest installment of WKU Week in Photos.
- Suzanne Vitale Clinical Education Complex newsletter: Check out the spring 2018 newsletter from the Suzanne Vitale Clinical Education Complex.
- Winter Super Saturdays Week One: Check out photos from the first week of Winter Super Saturdays.
- Kentucky Teacher Hall of Fame induction ceremony today: The induction ceremony for the 2018 class of the Governor Louie B. Nunn Kentucky Teacher Hall of Fame will be held at 1 p.m. EST today in at the State Capitol in Frankfort. Members of the 10th class, chosen by the statewide selection committee, are Gloria K. Compton, Ronald Montgomery and Mattie Jo Smith.
- 2018 Winter Weather Communications Plan: Check out a reminder about WKU’s winter weather communications plan that provides a number of ways you can find out if classes are delayed, canceled or if a campus is closed.
- WKU Public Radio Weekday Newscast Schedule: Tune into WKU Public Radio for national and international news from NPR, and local newscasts every half hour during Morning Edition (4-9 a.m. Central), and All Things Considered (3-6 p.m. Central), as well as local news features and interviews produced by the WKU news staff. WKU's Public Radio can be heard on WKYU-FM (88.9) in Bowling Green/Glasgow; WDCL-FM (89.7) in Somerset/Campbellsville; WKPB-FM (88.9) in Henderson/Owensboro; WKUE-FM (90.9) in Elizabethtown/Bardstown; and online at http://www.wkyufm.org/
- Softball: 2018 WKU Media Day: With the 2018 WKU Softball campaign just days away, fifth-year Hilltopper head coach Amy Tudor along with redshirt-senior Brittany Vaughn and junior Kelsey McGuffin previewed the upcoming season at the team's media day.
- Hilltoppers learn lesson about 'complacency' with loss at UTSA: WKU’s loss Saturday to Texas-San Antonio didn’t just start when the ball tipped off. There was an attitude of “complacency” that coach Rick Stansbury said he sensed in the lead-up to the game. More: Tops pick inopportune time for season's worst-shooting day
More: Check out WKU in the News page.
- Upcoming WKU Alumni events: For a listing of events, visit the Alumni website and click on the Events Calendar. Or contact the WKU Alumni Association at 888-958-2586. For a list of Alumni news, visit the Alumni News page. More: WKU SpiritFunder
- Topper Travelers Program 2018: The WKU Alumni Association is planning a Baltic Cruise across Northern Europe June 21-July 2. The 10-night cruise across the Baltic Sea aboard Marina will begin in Copenhagen, Denmark, with stops in Berlin, Germany; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; and Stockholm, Sweden. For information, visit alumni.wku.edu/baltic2018 or contact the Alumni Association at 800-842-9023 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More: Visit the WKU Alumni website.
- Exhibits at Kentucky Museum: Instruments of American Excellence; A Culture Carried: Bosnians in Bowling Green (through June 30); Kaleidoscope: Kentucky Museum Quilts (through Dec. 18); plus other gallery and on-campus exhibits. (Museum hours/visitor information) Contact Kentucky Museum, (270) 745-2592.
- Exhibits at Downing Museum: The Story of Joe Downing: Select Works From the Collection; Emily Hendricksen, A Reflective Collection (through Feb. 24); David Marquez, Germination Series (Feb. 6-March 17). Downing Museum, 4801 Morgantown Road. Contact Jack LeSieur, (270) 842-7415.
- International Year of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Various events and locations during 2017-18 academic year. Contact International Programs, (270) 745-5334.
- Arts at WKU 2017-2018. Various events and locations. Contact Potter College of Arts & Letters, (270) 745-2344.
- Photographic Exhibition: Bosnia and Herzegovina: Then and Now. Jan. 31-April 13. Jody Richards Hall Gallery. Contact Tim Broekema, (270) 745-3055.
- Art Exhibition: Proof of Existence: An Exhibit of Work by Contemporary Artists of Bosnian and Balkan Origin. Through April 6. Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center Gallery. Contact Art, (270) 745-3944.
- Exhibit at Intercultural Student Engagement Center: Black History Month student artwork. Downing Student Union, room 2041. Contact ISEC, (270) 745-5066.
Tuesday, Feb. 6
Wednesday, Feb. 7
- 8 a.m.: Kentucky DECA Regional Conference. Downing Student Union. Contact Campus and Community Events, (270) 745-2497.
- 8 a.m.: Personal Financial Planning Symposium. Knicely Conference Center. Contact Gordon Ford College of Business, (270) 745-6311.
- 10 a.m.: WKU Campus Ministry Blood Drive. Preston Health and Activities Center. Contact Mindy Johnson, (270) 745-2459.
Thursday, Feb. 8
- 5:30 p.m.: Lady Topper Basketball vs. Old Dominion. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- 7 p.m.: Hardin Planetarium Show: Musica. Hardin Planetarium. Contact Planetarium, (270) 745-4044.
- 7:30 p.m.: Cultural Enhancement Series: Roxane Gay. Van Meter Hall. Free admission. Contact Cultural Enhancement, (270) 745-4375.
- 7:30 p.m.: Hilltopper Basketball vs. Florida Atlantic. Diddle Arena. Contact Athletic Communications, (270) 745-4298.
- Today@WKU is a service of WKU Public Affairs. For more from WKU News, become a WKU Facebook fan, follow us on Twitter, visit the WKU News page, or check out What's Happening @WKU, “View from the Hill” segments, more News from Around Campus, WKU on You Tube or WKU webcams. Email us at email@example.com