IRH Provides Wellness Screening Services for Business, Industry
|Date: Tuesday, July 1st, 2014||Return|
*Original story available on WKU News. Please visit http://wkunews.wordpress.com/2014/07/01/irh-screenings-2014/to be taken directly to the story.
Students and staff in WKU’s Institute for Rural Health provided more than 560 wellness screening procedures to employees at J. M. Smucker Co. in Scottsville in 2013-14.
The IRH staff worked with 29 bachelor-degree nursing students to provide screenings for blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, bone density and body mass index and one-on-one health education for 194 patients, resulting in 158 student engagement hours.
Also, Eiman AlEissa, a Master of Public Health student working as an IRH intern, designed and provided oral health education to 194 Smucker employees.
Employee wellness events such as this provide students with a great occupational nursing experience and allows the students to put into practice the knowledge gained in the classroom, IRH Director Matt Hunt said.
“Our employees always enjoy the interaction with the students and will often follow up with me after they have been made aware of a potential health concern during the health fair,” Julia Tabor, Plant Registered Nurse at J.M. Smucker Co., said. “Prevention is the key to maintaining good health and the WKU IRH helps me to educate the JMS population. I also appreciate the opportunity to share with our future RN’s a glimpse into the occupational health nursing field.”
In addition to Smucker, IRH worked with ALPHA and Bowling Green Metalforming in Bowling Green, Halton Co. in Scottsville and Delta Faucet in Morgantown.
Contact: Matt Hunt, (270) 745-4138; or Tracey Osborne, (270) 745-8815.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
On Saturday (May 16), 61 students representing 37 counties from across Kentucky were recognized during The Gatton Academyís eighth graduation ceremony in Van Meter Hall.
Seniors Brian Carlson, Ben Guthrie, Paul Hudson, Ben Riley and junior Rohan Deshpande were members of the team who traveled to Washington, D.C. to compete at the 25th National Science Bowl.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,