Students who wish to declare a 731 mathematical economics major are initially designated as 731P (Mathematics Prep). In order to be granted full admission into the 731 major, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Complete MATH 136, ECON 202, ECON 203, AND ECON 206 or STAT 301, with a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the courses listed.
- Complete a minimum of 60 hours with a minimum GPA of 2.0 overall.
- Complete of a minimum of 12 hours at Western Kentucky University with a minimum WKU GPA of 2.0.
- Submit a Change of Major form to change from 731P to a 731 major.
A minimum of 49 hours are required, which includes 27 hours of economics, 21 hours of mathematics, and a 1-hour Senior Seminar course. A minor or second major is required. The second major may not be economics, business economics, or mathematics. The minor may not be economics or mathematics.
Logic Requirement – 3 hours
PHIL 215 or EE 180 is required. Students should complete one of these courses in the first year of study as a prerequisite for MATH 307. PHIL 215 counts toward General Education Category B-II.
Mathematics Requirements – 21 hours
1. Required Courses (15 hrs) – MATH 136 (4 hrs), MATH 137 (4 hrs), MATH 237 (4 hrs), MATH 307 (3 hrs)
2. Either MATH 310 (3 hrs) or MATH 331 (3 hrs)
3. Three elective hours from MATH 331 (if not chosen above), MATH 310 (if not chosen above), MATH 305, MATH 382, MATH 405, MATH 435
Economics Requirements – 27 hours
ECON 202 (3 hrs), ECON 203 (3 hrs), ECON 302 (3 hrs), ECON 303 (3 hrs), ECON 464 (3 hrs), ECON 465 (3 hrs), ECON 206 (3 hrs) (or STAT 301), ECON 306 or 307 (3 hrs), ECON 3XX / 4XX (3 hrs)
- Course Descriptions
- Undergraduate Catalog
- Financial Aid
- Transfer Equivalencies
- Transfer Equivalency Request
- Careers in Math
- Career Services Center
- Office of Teacher Services
- TEACH Grant
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,