- Completion of MATH 136, ECON 202, ECON 203, and ECON 206 or STAT 301, with a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the courses listed.
- Completion of a minimum of 60 hours with a minimum GPA of 2.0 overall.
- Completion of a minimum of 12 hours at Western Kentucky University with a minimum WKU GPA of 2.0.
- Submission of a Change of Major form to change from 731P to a 731 major.
2. A minimum of 61 hours in the major is required, which includes 21 hours of Economics, 24 hours of Mathematics, 12 hours of Finance, 3-4 hours of Computer Science, and a 1 hour Senior Seminar course. A minimum of 120 unduplicated undergraduate semester hours is required.
3. No minor or second major is required. But at least one-third of the course requirements in each major and minor must be earned at WKU.
4. At least one-half of the semester hours required for each major and minor must be earned in undergraduate courses numbered 300 and above. (See the Undergraduate Catalog for exceptions for minors in business administration and computer information systems, and majors in dental hygiene, social studies, art education, middle grades education).
5. For a degree with this major, a minimum of 42 undergraduate semester hours must be completed in courses numbered 300 and above.
6. All mathematics courses listed as prerequisites for other courses must have been completed with a grade of C or better.
7. You must have a GPA of at least 2.0 (i) in all credits presented for graduation whether earned at WKU or elsewhere, (ii) in all credits completed at WKU, (iii) overall in the major subjects and in the minor subjects, and (iv) in the major subjects and in the minor subjects completed at WKU.
Note: This major leads to a Bachelor of Science degree intended for students interested in graduate studies in economics, public policy, or business, as well as those students seeking analytical careers that will require extensive mathematics backgrounds.
Economics Requirements – 21 hours
- ECON 202 – Micro Principles (3 hrs.)
- ECON 203 – Macro Principles (3 hrs.)
- ECON 302 – Intermediate Micro (3 hrs.)
- ECON 303 – Intermediate Macro (3 hrs.)
- ECON 206 – Statistics OR STAT 301 – Statistics (3 hrs.)
- ECON 307 – Financial Data Modeling (3 hrs.)
- ECON 465 – Econometrics OR ECON 480 Economic Forecasting OR STAT 401 – Regression Analysis (3 hrs.)
Mathematics Requirements – 24 hours
- MATH 136 – Calculus I (4 hrs.)
- MATH 137 – Calculus II (4 hrs.)
- MATH 237 – Multivariable Calculus (4 hrs.)
- MATH 307 – Linear Algebra (3 hrs.)
- MATH 310 – Discrete Math (3 hrs.)
- MATH 382 – Probability & Statistics I (3 hrs.)
- MATH 482 – Probability & Statistics II (3 hrs.)
Finance Requirements – 12 hours
- FIN 330 – Principles of Financial Management (3 hrs.) Note: ACCT 200 is a prerequisite to this course.
- FIN 332 – Investment Theory (3 hrs.)
- FIN 350 – Risk Management and Insurance (3 hrs.)
- FIN 437 – Corporate Asset Management (3 hrs.)
Computer Science Requirement – 3-4 hours
- CS 170 – Problem Solving and Programming (3 hrs.) OR CS 180 – Computer Science I (4 hrs.)
Senior Capstone – 1 hour
- ECON 497 – Senior Capstone OR MATH 497 – Senior Capstone (1 hr.)
- Course Descriptions
- Undergraduate Catalog
- Financial Aid
- Transfer Equivalencies
- Transfer Equivalency Request
- Careers in Math
- Career Services Center
- Office of Teacher Services
- TEACH Grant
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,