Western Leaders Crew Members are excellent customer service representatives and assist in the implementation of programs during M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan (August 16th-20th, 2015). After one year of service, Western Leaders Crew Members have the opportunity to serve as Western Leaders Team Captains.
The minimum expectations and responsibilities for Western Leaders Crew Members include:
- Attend and actively participate in the Western Leaders Crew Members training program (August 13th-15th, 2015).
- Serve as a role model for new students by adhering to all University guidelines and housing policies and exhibiting responsibility and high levels of maturity.
- Assist with the organization and implementation of M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan activities:
- Assist with opening day registration processes, including hanging "welcome" and informational banners on-campus for move-in day, stuffing participant bags, unloading vehicles, directing traffic, and helping new students move into their residence halls.
- Unlock presentation rooms, arrange/re-arrange room furniture, ensure presenters have all necessary materials to facilitate sessions, re-assign rooms when needed, and swipe student IDs for attendance.
- Set-up and tear-down all social and special events (i.e. distributing Red Towels and facilitating seating/dismissal at Convocation, ushering at the CloseUP Theatre Troupe performances, setting up tables for the Campus and Community Involvement Fair, and facilitating seating/dismissal at TopperU).
- Display initiative in assisting new students with special needs and concerns. Provide referrals to new students and parents.
- Encourage new students to fully participate in the University environment.
- Participate in the evaluation process of the M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan program.
- Additional duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications for Western Leaders Crew Members include:
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA (at time position is offered and throughout time of service).
- Good judicial standing with the department of Housing & Residence Life and the University.
- Be reliable, responsible, confident, flexible, willing to help, and an effective communicator focused on building teamwork and fostering working relationships.
- Relate well to students, parents, family members, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about Western Kentucky University, its traditions, regulations, people, and programs.
- Cannot be employed in the Resident Assistant position, by Housing and Residence Life, due to scheduling constraints.
Western Leaders benefit from the opportunity to:
- Enhance interpersonal, communication, and teamwork skills
- Increase knowledge of campus resources
- Connect with University faculty, staff, and administrators
- Increase self-confidence
- Serve incoming students
- Give back to the University
- Serve as role models while assisting in the orientation, transition, and retention of new students
- Acquire Western Leaders apparel and gear
- Move into fall campus housing assignment early (one week before other upperclassmen students)
The 2015 Western Leaders Crew Member position begins TENTATIVELY on August 13th and finishes on August 20th, 2015. Please note that the beginning date is subject to change. Listed below are dates and events Western Leaders are required to attend. Specific dates are mentioned where applicable.
- Western Leaders will tentatively return to campus Thursday, August 13th beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- Training is mandatory.
- Western Leaders Crew Members will be scheduled to work specific events that may require arriving early, before the event is to take place, and staying late, after the event is over. Breaks may be scheduled but can be rescheduled due to conflicts.
- Western Leaders are required to clear their schedules and refrain from participating in other activities August 13th-20th, due to the training and implementation schedule of the M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan program. Exceptions to this are RARE.
Paper applications are due to the HRL office in Southwest Hall by 4:30pm on Friday, March 20th.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,