Western Leaders Team Captains provide leadership to teams of up to 10 Crew Members during M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan week (August 16th-20th, 2015), and have one year experience in the Western Leaders Crew Member position (required).
The minimum expectations and responsibilities for Western Leaders Team Captains include:
- Assist with the recruitment, selection, and team placement of Crew Members.
- Attend and actively participate in the Western Leaders Team Captain Retreat (TBD).
- Attend and actively participate in the Western Leaders Crew Member training program (August 14th-15th, 2015).
- Serve as a role model for Crew Members and new students by adhering to all University guidelines and housing policies, and exhibiting responsibility and high levels of maturity.
- Provide leadership to a team of 9-10 Crew Members during the week of M.A.S.T.E.R.
Plan (August 16th-20th, 2015).
- Assign daily tasks;
- Hold Crew Members accountable to communicated expectations and completion of assigned tasks;
- Provide encouragement to Crew Members and recognize their efforts; and
- Manage and mediate conflict between Crew Members.
- Assist with the organization and implementation of M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan activities:
- Assist with opening day registration processes, including hanging "welcome" and informational banners on-campus for move-in day, stuffing participant bags, unloading vehicles, directing traffic, and helping new students move into their residence halls.
- Unlock presentation rooms, arrange/re-arrange room furniture, ensure presenters have all necessary materials to facilitate sessions, re-assign rooms when needed, and swipe student IDs for attendance.
- Set-up and tear-down all social and special events (i.e. distributing Red Towels and facilitating seating/dismissal at Convocation, ushering at the CloseUP Theatre Troupe performances, setting up tables for the Campus and Community Involvement Fair, facilitating seating/dismissal at TopperU).
- Display initiative in assisting new students with special needs and concerns. Provide referrals to new students and parents.
- Encourage new students to fully participate in the University environment.
- Participate in the evaluation process of the M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan program.
- Additional duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications for Western Leaders Team Captains include:
- One year experience in the Western Leaders Crew Member position (required).
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative G.P.A. (at time position is offered and throughout time of service).
- Good judicial standing with the department of Housing & Residence Life and the University.
- Be reliable, responsible, confident, flexible, willing to help, and an effective communicator focused on building teamwork and fostering working relationships.
- Relate well with students, parents, family members, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about Western Kentucky University, its traditions, regulations, people, and programs.
- Cannot be employed in the Resident Assistant position, by Housing and Residence Life, due to scheduling constraints.
The benefits for Western Leaders Team Captains include:
- Opportunity to:
- Enhance interpersonal, communication, teamwork, and leadership skills;
- Increase knowledge of campus resources;
- Connect with University faculty, staff, and administrators;
- Increase self-confidence;
- Serve incoming students; and,
- Give back to the University.
- Opportunity to serve as role models while assisting in the orientation, transition, and retention of new students.
- Western Leaders apparel and gear.
- Moving into fall campus housing assignment early (one week before other upperclassmen students).
The 2015 Western Leaders Team Captain position begins TENTATIVELY on August 13th and ends on August 20th. 2015. Please note that the beginning date is subject to change. Listed below are dates and events Western Leaders are required to attend. Specific dates are mentioned where applicable.
- Western Leaders Team Captains will tentatively return to campus Thursday, August 13th beginning at 3:00 p.m.
- Training is mandatory.
- Western Leaders Crew Members, Team Captains, and Counselors will be scheduled to work specific events that may require arriving early, before the event is to take place, and staying late, after the event is over. Breaks may be scheduled but can be rescheduled due to conflicts.
- Western Leaders are required to clear their schedules and refrain from participating in other activities August 13th-20th, due to the training and implementation schedule of the M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan program.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,