Western Leaders who serve as Counselors function as small group discussion facilitators and mentor groups of new students during M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan's Commuter Program (MPC, scheduled August 17th-18th, 2014). Western Leaders Counselors have two years of experience in the Western Leaders Crew Member position (preferred). Students who have served in the Resident Assistant position (not employed for fall 2014 term) and remain in good standing with the department of Housing and Residence Life are also eligible and encouraged to apply. In addition to serving as Counselors during MPC, Western Leaders Counselors also have the opportunity to assist with M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan activities August 19th-21st.
The minimum expectations and responsibilities for Western Leaders Counselors include:
- Attend and actively participate in the Western Leaders Counselors training (TBA).
- Serve as a role model for new students by adhering to all University guidelines and housing policies, and exhibiting responsibility and high levels of maturity.
- Establish and maintain mentoring relationships with new students participating in
the M.A.S.T.E.R Plan Commuter (MPC) program.
- Engage new Commuter students attending MPC in program activities (i.e. informational sessions, educational workshops, special events, and social events). Facilitate teambuilding activities and fun games; lead cheers, as well as the Fight Song.
- Create opportunities for Commuter students to interact with one another and form connections.
- Accompany assigned groups (comprised of 25-30 new students) to, and attend, all informational sessions and educational workshops.
- Foster a welcoming, comfortable environment for all group members in which diversity is celebrated in all its forms, and intolerance and hate are addressed.
- Facilitate discussions of session and workshop content.
- Be attuned to Commuter student transitional issues (i.e. anxiety). Exercise excellent listening and helping skills in counseling situations; provide referrals to Counseling and Testing when needed.
- Assist in the handling of emergency and/or crisis situations.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with departmental policy.
- Maintain contact with assigned group members throughout the academic year; help them achieve academic and social goals. Organize and attend group "reunion."
- Display initiative in assisting new Commuter students with special needs and concerns. Provide referrals to new students and parents.
- Encourage new Commuter students to fully participate in the University environment.
- Participate in the evaluation process of the M.A.S.T.E.R Plan Commuter program.
- Additional duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications for Western Leaders Counselors include:
- Two years experience in the Western Leader position (preferred); prior experience in the Resident Assistant position.
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative G.P.A. (at time position is offered and throughout time of service).
- Good judicial standing with the department of Housing & Residence Life and the University.
- Be reliable, responsible, confident, flexible, willing to help, and an effective communicator focused on building teamwork and fostering working relationships.
- Relate well to students, parents, family members, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about Western Kentucky University, its traditions, regulations, people, and programs.
Western Leaders Counselors benefit from the opportunity to:
- Enhance interpersonal, communication, and teamwork skills
- Increase knowledge of campus resources
- Connect with University faculty, staff, and administrators
- Increase self-confidence
- Serve incoming students
- Give back to the University
- Serve as a role model while assisting in the orientation, transition, and retention of new students
- Western Leaders apparel and gear
- Move into fall campus housing assignment early (one week before other upperclassmen students)
The 2014 Western Leaders Counselor position begins TENTATIVELY on August 14th and finishes on August 21st, 2014. Please note that the beginning date is subject to change. Listed below are dates and events Western Leaders are required to attend. Specific dates are mentioned where applicable.
- Training (TBA) is mandatory.
- Western Leaders Crew Members, Team Captains, and Counselors will be scheduled to work specific events that may require arriving early, before the event is to take place, and staying late, after the event is over. Breaks may be scheduled but can be rescheduled due to conflicts.
- Western Leaders Counselors are required to clear their schedules and refrain from participating in other activities August 14th-21st, 2014, due to the training and implementation schedule of the M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan Commuter program. Exceptions to this are RARE.
Download an Application
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,