The Office of Conferencing and Catering Guidelines
In an effort to maintain our services offered we request that you honor the following policies and guidelines. By signing the contract and utilizing our services it is acknowledged that you have read and will abide by these guidelines and polices when utilizing our services. WKU Catering has exclusive rights to serve food, beverage and alcohol on Western Kentucky University campus.
- Attended Events: Confirm all details (menu selection, room set-up, estimated number of guests and other miscellaneous items) at least two weeks (ten business days) prior to the event. We recommend that when planning events for larger groups, you contact the catering office at least four (4) weeks in advance. Final guarantee of number of guests must be made three business days prior to the event.
- Non-Attended Events (Delivers/Coffee Breaks): Confirm all details five (5) business days prior to the event. Call with the final guarantee three business days prior to the event.
- If your place your order within (3) three business days of your event, we are unable to guarantee your first choice selection will be available. All orders less than (3) business days will be based on product and staff availability. Substitution may apply with all order less than (3) days.
- Order can be placed by phone (270)-745-1908 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
- It is essential that we have an accurate guest count to ensure your event is successful. An estimated guest count is required at the time your order is placed. A final guarantee count must be provided to the Office of Conferencing Catering Department a minimum of three (3) business days prior to the event. Our department will bill for the guaranteed number or the actual guest count, whichever is greater. If no guarantee is received, we will plan and bill according to the estimated guest count. A signed confirmation must be returned by email, fax (270-745-1911) or in person prior to the event.
- Refunds will not be provided for unused food or beverage portions and leftover food from events cannot be packaged for carried out.
Food Service and Menu Planning
The menu items listed in the catering guide are only suggestions; you are not limited to these selections. The Office of Conferencing and Catering is ready to consult with you on any special gourmet, themed, or ethnic menu. We are happy to customize a menu to fit your specific dietary needs and budget. Please allow (3) weeks to ensure availability of specialty items ordered.
Sales Minimums and Miscellaneous Labor Fees
- Please note that some menu items have minimum billing numbers, generally no lower than 10 people per plated or box lunch event or 25 people for buffet service. You may certainly order this service for a lesser amount of people (however billing will be based on the minimum billing number). Orders not meeting set minimums can also be picked up at the Catering kitchen located in the Knicely Conference Center. Functions with fewer than 25 guests will be subject to a labor fee. Please contact the Office of Conferencing and Catering 270-745-1908.
- All pricing for attended events meeting event minimums includes service staff, which includes 1 hour set up, 2 hours of service/meal time, and 1 hour, break down for a total of 4 hours. If additional time is needed, a representative from office can help you arrange this with appropriate pricing.
- For off WKU Campus events that require an attendant and with sales less than $250, an attendant’s fee of $25 per server/per hour will apply.
- Final bar sales must average a minimum of $300 per bar. Bar Set-up fees will be waived when bar sales meet the minimum of $300. If sales fall below this amount, the difference between actual sales and the minimum will be applied, and the bar set-up fees. Bar service fees are $50 for the first hour and $20 for each additional hour.
- Delivery Charges: A charge determined on a case by case basis will apply to any event held off WKU campus.
- Personal Cakes and Candy Stations: The Office of Conferencing and Catering understands the importance making your event a success and adding the personal touch. Our office allows wedding client, corporate accounts etc…to bring in their own cake or candy station. WKU Catering does offer cake cutting service for those groups who request it. 1 to 150 - $50, 150 to 300 - $75 and 300+ people - $100
Cancellations are subject to fee or charges. In the event of a catering order is canceled. The client is may be assessed a fee in the event the food cannot be reused or considered a specialty item.
Event & Food Safety
- For your safety, we prohibit guests from carrying out perishable food and require Caterers to handle and dispose of food following the Kentucky Department of Health Guidelines.
- In compliance with State Health Regulations and to protect the safety or your guests from food borne illness, any remaining food items provided by the caterer MUST remain at the event. Any food remaining at the end of the event is to be returned by WKU Catering Services and disposed of according to health regulations. If food is removed from an event the Catering Department is not responsible or liable for the quality or safety of these items. All dishes, cutlery and catering supplies must remain in the room where the delivery has taken place, or additional costs may be applied to your invoice. Additional charges may be applied for missing items when cleaning up deliveries.
- Also in compliance with State of Health regulations, to ensure the best quality of our food and service and to protect your guests from food borne illness, the maximum amount of time a buffet is open is 3 hours. If you are interested in the food for your event staying out longer than 3 hours, please contact the Office of Conferencing and Catering at 270-745-1908.
Request for Exemption
As stated above all food and beverages (including alcohol) is to be provided by WKU Catering. A client may request a one-time exemption form by completing the catering exemption form and providing documentation that the vendor has liability insurance to maintain a food service license. All exemptions are reviewed and approved on a case by case by the Office of Conferencing and Catering leadership team. Please contact our office at 270-745-1908 to obtain a Waiver Exemption Form.
China and Glassware Charges
All conference center events include china unless specified otherwise. All off-site events on WKU’s Campus or local communities will be served with disposables unless specified.
- Standard linen is provided for buffet tables that meet event minimums are available in white, black, sandalwood, chocolate, and ivory. Standard Linen is provided for guest tables requesting china service. If the event is served on disposables and linen is requested, the standard charge per tablecloths is $10.00 each and the standard charge per napkin is .50 each.
- Linen for guest seating tables, specialty linen or linen to the floor, is available for additional charges please contact the Office of Conferencing Catering Department at 270-745-1908 for details.
- For all WKU events an inter-account index number or foundation account number is preferred but we can also take a check from WKU, and/or the specific WKU department will be invoiced at the conclusion of the event.
- For off-site events for groups or individuals not associated with WKU, the Office of Conferencing and Catering requires that 50% of the final invoice minus consumption totals (if applicable) is to be paid two weeks prior to the event. The remaining balance is due three (3) business days prior to your event. If the payment is not paid in full the event cannot be served by the Office of Conferencing and Catering. All events are subject to a 15% Service Gratuity Fee and 6% Sales tax unless you provide a copy of your tax exemption status prior to the event.
- For on-site events for groups or individuals not associated with WKU hosted at the Augenstien Alumni Center, and the Knicely Conference Center a room rental deposit is required to host your event and two weeks prior to your event 50% of the final invoice minus consumption totals (if applicable) is to be paid. The event will be invoiced after the event. All events are subject to a 15% Administrative Fee and a 6% Sales Tax unless the client can provide a copy of a tax exemption certificate prior to the event.
- Cash, Checks, Visa, MasterCard, and American Express are accepted forms of payment. All invoices arranged through direct billing must be paid 30 days from the date of your event.
Conference Room Space Availability
All conference space at the Augenstein Alumni Center and the Knicely Conference Center are available for use based on client needs. The Office of Conferencing and Catering reserves the right to move groups based on size and availability of rooms.
All student groups using conferencing facilities on WKU’s campus to host events such as dinner, awards banquet or social events are not allowed to order bar service that includes alcoholic beverages. Additionally these groups are required to order a minimum of 25% of the total room rental, and room equipment (Audio Video Equipment, Room Enhancements, Dance Floors etc...) For Example Room Rental = $600 and Dance Floor =$275, they must order $175 dollar worth of Food. All student organizations are required to be in good standing with WKU Student Activities and are required to utilize WKU Police Security which is to be acquired through the Office of Conferencing and Catering.
Group cancellations are subject to a cancellation fee or loss of deposit. The fee is equivalent to the room rental or deposit or 25% of the room rental dependent upon contract agreement.
It is essential that we have an accurate guest count to ensure your event is successful. An estimated guest count is required at the time your order is placed. Our office requires a final guarantee a minimum of three (3) business days prior to the event. The office of Conferencing and Catering will invoice for the guaranteed number or the actual guest count, whichever is greater. If no guarantee is received, we will plan and bill according to the estimated guest count. For conference services, the final count is also due three days prior however agreed upon set up changes no charge will be assessed. The only exception is if the additional set up requires additional labor than previously scheduled. The client is then subject to a labor service fee for changes the 24 hours or less to the start of the event. A signed confirmation must be returned by email, fax, (270-745-1911) or in person prior to the event.
- All WKU Conference centers and campus venues strictly prohibit carrying or using weapons on the premises.
- The Knicely Conference Center and Augenstein Alumni Center are tobacco–free facilities this includes chewing tobacco and electronic cigarettes. A smoking area is provided outside each location.
- All Food and Beverages needs (including alcohol) are required to be provided by WKU Catering at all conference facilities. WKU Catering has the exclusive contract with WKU.
- All alcoholic beverages must be provided by the office of Conferencing and Catering. The office of Conferencing and Catering strictly prohibits groups entering the facilities with alcoholic beverages. Violation of this policy can result in the refusal of services
- Do not tape anything to the walls, ceiling or floor without the permission of the Office of Conferencing and Catering staff.
- The Event Planning Services division of the office of Conferencing and Catering reserves the right to cancel event due to low registration as determined at the signing of the contract.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,