2019 Performance Development
WKU is in a transition period as we near completion of a new Performance Development Program which will be announced later this Spring/Summer. However, it remains important for employees and supervisors to engage in a conversation concerning successes and opportunities relative to job performance during calendar year 2019. Conversations should also focus on goals and action plans for the 2020 calendar period, each being aligned with the respective unit/division's strategic plan and/or the WKU Strategic Plan.
Supervisors should schedule a time to have one-on-one conversations with their employees. Objectives and a checklist for these meetings can be found below. Resources are also available at the bottom of this page, including a worksheet for creating SMART Goals. Please use the worksheet and resources to facilitate your conversations.
The Objectives for your conversations should be to:
- Collaborate to ensure understanding of job responsibilities, untit/department/divisional goals and how their work contributes to overall university success.
- Reflect on 2019 achievements and opportunities of growth.
- Determine areas of focus for 2020 goals.
Checklist for Conversations:
- Share departmental goals with team members, and how your department contributes to the university strategic plan.
- Meet one-on-one with each direct report to discuss 2019 goals. Reflect on achievements and opportunities for growth and development.
- Work with each direct report to determine their role in unit/departmental/divisional goals.
- Assist each direct report with creating 2-4 SMART goals for 2020.
- Check in with direct reports periodically to assess progress and adjust as needed.
Supervisors and department/unit leaders will be accountable to their respective vice president or college dean for compliance with these requirements. The referenced documentation should be retained within department/unit records.
Worksheet & Resources
|What is a SMART Goal?|
|Conversation Prompts for Supervisors|
|Goal Setting and Reflection Worksheet|
Sample Completed Goal Setting and Reflection Worksheets (A blank copy is available above)