Job Opening: Medical Office Associate
|Author: Terri F.|
Date: Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012
|Return to Archive|
WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY
Medical Office Associate
Western Kentucky University, Health Services, is seeking applicants for a Medical Office Associate. This position will serve as the main scheduler for all walk-in appointments. This position is also responsible for directing patient flow to ensure quality customer service and safety, as well as greeting all patients arriving at WKU Health Services. This person oversees the parking lot ensuring patient access to the department. This Position reports to the Coordinator of Patient Services, Medical Records and HIPAA.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Greets and assists all clients with a smile and in a professional manner
- Oversees and directs patient flow appropriately throughout the building
- Schedules patient appointments per protocol
- Oversees the Parking Lot and Lobby
- Assists with the release of medical records per protocols
- Receives and distributes medical records from out-side providers
- Accepts and signs for shipments to the department
- Cross trains in other areas to be available as a fill in for other team members as needed
- Scans and Files new patient paperwork in the EMR system
- Opens Front Office, turns on the lights and boots up computers
- Works the Bad Debt Report and sends final notice letters to students as necessary
- Works the Patient Dismissal List each month
- Handles all equipment loan requests for the department
- Places bursar holds on student’s accounts
- Actively participates in the cleaning of the lobby and other areas as needed
- Speaks with parents and students at orientations and assists with or sets up a table to display and discuss WKU Health Services with incoming students and their parents
- Processes all bankruptcies coming into the department
- Checks and responds to patient messages and appointment requests made via the patient portal
- Actively and independently seeks out relevant professional growth opportunities to assure current knowledge. This may take the form of classes, seminars, reading material, audio tapes, and/or conferences
- Assists with ongoing HIPAA and Accreditation projects as assigned
- Assists with ongoing HIPAA and AAAHC Accreditation projects as assigned
- Ensures that patients have the adequate resources
- Maintains proper document par levels for all services rendered by the department
- Works the Bad Address Report
- Works the over 60 days report
- Must be able to think critically and independently
- Must be able to communicate directly and clearly
- Assists the Coordinator for Patient Services, Medical Records and HIPAA as needed
- Assists the AR Associate and Insurance and Billing Coordinator as needed
- Special projects will be assigned as needed
- Reports generation and survey duties
- Participates in staff development and training sessions
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent plus 2 years of post-secondary education in a related field
- Self-motivated, ability to set direction and to work independently
- The successful candidate must have mental and physical stamina to meet the demands of a busy group practice, and must be willing to independently look for opportunities for professional growth and development
- Experience in a fast paced Medical practice
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Exemplary interpersonal/customer skills
- Complete understanding of MS Office programs
- Good understanding of medical terminology
- Detail oriented and adheres to a high standard of accuracy
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers and individuals at all levels of the University
- Ability to learn CPT and ICD-9 coding, and EMR or other digital documentation systems
- This position may require long periods of sitting, standing, computer use, and the routine operation of office equipment
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. In addition to the online application interested candidates must submit a cover letter, a current resume along with names, addresses, and daytime phone numbers of three professional references using the online application process. Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/sjobs. For further assistance call (270) 745-5934. Reference requisition number S3279. To ensure full consideration submit application materials by June 4th, 2012. Position will remain open until filled.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745- 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
Reduce seasonal allergy symptoms in your home by following several tips.
Do you need to walk 10,000 steps a day to be healthy? The health benefits of using a pedometer.
March 12 - March 16
How does one ditch a dependence on soda? Here are five tips for kicking your soda habit for good.
Are artificial sweeteners used in soft drinks and foods safe? Will they make us fat? How much is too much? Science doesn't have all the answers yet, but researchers have some clues.
Speed Limit Reduced on Normal and State Streets