Skip to main content
Skip to main content

WKU - Housing Renewal FAQs

Live ON - it's time to renew your housing.

How will I select my room?

You will need to decide where you would like to live next Fall (stay in your same room, move to a different room in the same hall, or change halls). Once you identify your preference, view the schedule to find out when you can enter Topnet for the room selection process. This schedule is available on our website, and you will be notified of this schedule in your WKU email account as well. You will select your room on Topnet through "My Housing". You will be able to see all vacant spaces in the residence halls. If you wish to pull in a roommate, you will want to identify rooms that have two vacant spaces. Once you have access to "My Housing," you will continue to have access until March 31,  and can make changes to your assignment and roommate until that date.

What is a "Proxy Code?"

The proxy code is a random 8-digit number that is only used by a student to pull another student into their room as their roommate. You should only give your proxy code to a student that you want to room with. The proxy code can be found on your "My Housing" page in Topnet.

Can I change my proxy code?

Yes. There is a place on your "My Housing" page that allows you to change your proxy code. Simply choose a random 8 digit number and click the "Change Proxy Code" button.

What if I gave my proxy code to someone and I no longer want to live with that person?

If you change your mind about rooming with a particular person that you have already given your proxy code to, you just need to change your proxy code as outlined above. If they have already pulled you in as their roommate, you can go into "My Housing" and change your room assignment.

Can I pull in a roommate of my choice?

You will be able to pull in a roommate of your choice, as long as s/he is eligible to live in the same residence hall as you are and there is a space in your room. You must have your preferred roommate's proxy code in order to pull him/her in. During this room selection process, you can only pull in a roommate that is currently living on campus. If you would like a new freshmen or transfer student to be your roommate, you will need to contact the Housing and Residence Life office or email that information to

If I don't pick a specific roommate, how will I know who my roommate is?

Once someone is assigned to your room, their name will be listed on your "My Housing" page just below your room assignment information.

What is a "squatter?"

A "Squatter" is a term used for those students who want to stay in their same room. If you want to stay in your same room for next year, you will enter "My Housing" on February 14, 2017 and select "Stay in Same Room."

How do I access "My Housing"

Log in to Topnet, click on the Student Services link, then click on the "My Housing" link.

Will I be notified of my room assignment?

Yes. An email will be sent to you after you make your room selection. If you gave your proxy number to someone so they could pull you in as their roommate, you will also receive an email. Every time you make a change to your assignment, you will receive a new email confirming that change.

What are the definitions of "rising seniors," "rising juniors," "rising sophomores," and "rising freshmen?"

For the purpose of room selection, priority is based on classification, except for students in the Honors College who want to live in an honors hall. Once the squatters have been assigned, we will open "My Housing" to everyone else based on their classification. (Hours are calculated by adding your cumulative earned hours to your Spring 2017 hours).  Priority for the Honors College residents is calculated using their honors credits, not earned hours.  Honors credits are:  0-9 for rising freshmen, 10-18 for rising sophomores, 19-27 for rising juniors and 28+ for rising seniors.

  • "Rising seniors" - students who will have 90 or more hours by the end of the Spring 2017 semester
  • "Rising juniors" - students who will have 60 to 89 hours by the end of the Spring 2017 semester
  • "Rising sophomores" - students who will have 30 to 59 hours by the end of the Spring 2017 semester
  • "Rising freshmen" - students who will have 0-29 hours by the end of the Spring 2017 semester

Have more questions? Contact your RA, your Hall Director, or the HRL main office: | (270)745-4359 | 18 Southwest Hall

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 12/13/16