The Mahurin Honors College's Peer Mentors
Peer Mentors enhance the accessibility and effectiveness of MHC advising by providing peer-to-peer support systems. Peer mentors promote high-impact learning opportunities, guide scholars through the MHC curriculum options and assist in creating an inclusive, engaged learning community.
Peer mentors promote scholar success by supporting MHC advising initiatives through one-on-one peer advising, pop-up advising hours, classroom presentations, small group sessions, and direct communication with MHC scholars. Applicants can expect to dedicate 5 to 10 hours per week to the organization, including office hours in the MHC suite and/or online. Professional development includes a one-credit-hour seminar in Fall 2020, and monthly meetings in subsequent semesters. Members must comply with WKU’s Code of Student Conduct.
Mahurin Honors scholars with at least a 3.2 GPA and at least 9 honors hours per academic year are eligible to apply. Applicants should have a minimum of one year’s experience in The MHC and be dedicated to completing the honors curriculum. Being a Peer Mentor requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a commitment to the following qualities:
- Awareness of and appreciation for the diversity of experiences with the MHC community
- Engaged participation in peer mentorship responsibilities
- Professional, team-oriented approach
- Growth mindset
- Impact: Peer mentors positively contribute to the dynamic community of the Mahurin Honors College.
- Involvement: Peer mentors are active members of the Mahurin Honors College Advising Team. They receive individualized professional development from professional team members and are recognized for their contributions at graduation.
- Growth: Peer mentors enhance their leadership and interpersonal communication skills while also receiving specialized training in academic advising and student affairs theory.
How do I apply?
Spring 2021 Applications will be live soon!
Step 1: Complete the brief application.
Step 2: Submit a brief selfie-style video through FlipGrid.