Honors in the Major
Honors in the Major is a program that allows students transferring to WKU and students who have not joined the Honors College directly from high school to have an enriched Honors experience primarily within their major. Benefits of Honors in the Major include:
- Priority registration,
- Eligibility to apply for funds to travel abroad, conduct research and travel to conferences,
- Opportunity to have an “Honors experience” through individualized projects and faculty mentoring in Honors classes,
- Honors designation and thesis title listed on transcript, and
- Recognition as an Honors in the Major graduate during the Honors College Graduation Banquet and University Commencement ceremonies.
The Honors in the Major Program welcomes current WKU students and transfer students to apply for admission. Eligible applicants will have:
- Minimum college GPA of 3.5 at the time of application, and
- Have earned between 45 and 75 hours of college credit by their first semester as an Honors in the Major student (a maximum of 24 hours of AP, dual enrollment, IB, or other credit earned while in high school can apply towards this 45 hour requirement).
- See the transfer students page for a full understanding of the transfer student application process.
To remain in good standing, Honors in the Major students must maintain a 3.2 cumulative GPA and earn at least three hours of Honors credit each semester.
Minimum Honors Credit in First Major: 12 hours
*Includes 3-6 hours of a Capstone Experience/Thesis Project
Honors Electives (any level or major): 6 hours
Total Honors Hours: 18 hours
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,