HONORS 251: CITIZEN AND SELF ON THE ROAD
Application Deadline: October 15, 2017.
THE SALISH SEA
(CANADA AND USA)
JUNE 1-14, 2018
DR. ALEX OLSON
The Salish Sea is the body of water encompassing Puget Sound (U.S.) and the Strait of Georgia (Canada) in the Pacific Northwest. It is split in half by the international maritime border and surrounded by numerous sovereign Indian nations. Hemmed in by two mountain ranges, the rivers spilling into the Salish Sea provide spawning grounds for salmon. This program explores the meaning of citizenship and national identity in this complicated maritime borderlands. Students have a choice of enrolling in either Honors 251 or Honors 300.
- What is Citizen and Self?
Honors 251: Citizen and Self is a course that is required of all Honors scholars. As a foundational element of the Honors College curriculum, Citizen and Self offers students a chance to think about how their academic, personal, and professional goals relate to the challenges facing American democracy. This interdisciplinary course involves intensive group work on community-based projects and will help you develop the tools and civic skills for giving back to your community regardless of your chosen major and career.
- How many spaces are available in this program?
There will be 12 spots available in this program. Admission will be based on a competitive application process.
- Will Citizen and Self Study Abroad satisfy the Honors 251 requirement?
Yes! This course will count the same as taking Honors 251 during Fall or Spring semester. If you have already taken Honors 251, you can enroll for Honors 300 credit.
- How do I apply to participate?
The application process includes three parts. First, email the application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. All accepted students will be required to complete a Study Abroad application.
- What is the deadline to apply?
- You must email your application by October 15, 2017.
- I am an incoming first-year student and am already enrolled in Honors 251 in Fall 2016. Am I eligible to apply?
Yes! You can enroll for Honors 300 credit.
- What should I do if I am accepted to participate?
Students who complete the application process and are accepted to the program are expected to sign up for their respective courses and pay their deposits within one week.
- How much does it cost to participate in Citizen and Self Study Abroad?
- The cost is $3290, which includes tuition, lodging, airfare, ferries, ground transportation, group-sponsored activities, and most meals.
- Is financial aid available for students who are accepted to participate?
- Yes! All participating students will be eligible for Honors Travel Away Grants.
To access the Citizen and Self Study Away Application, click here!
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,