The priority deadline for high school seniors is December 1.
All applications must be received by 11:59pm Central Time on December 1 for Cherry Presidential Scholarship consideration and Mahurin Honors College priority admission consideration.
The Mahurin Honors College Application for Admission includes several components. Each are listed below with specific information and tips to complete the application. If you are ready to begin your online application, please click here.
This application displays a portion of the personal and academic information that you completed for the general application to WKU.
- Validate the information displayed by clicking Save and Continue.
- If any information displayed is incorrect, contact the WKU Office of Admission at 270-745-2551 before submitting the application.
Discuss two (2) of the following essay topics succinctly but with enough detail for the selection committee to fully evaluate your writing ability (4,000 characters max, including spaces and punctuation for each essay). It is recommended that you write and edit your essays in a word processor and paste them into the appropriate text boxes due to the inactivity timeout.
Additional Essay Instructions
This is not your AP English essay. This isn't your Activities Summary portion of this
application; this is your writing portion. So, write us something creative, and write
it about you. Don't take these questions literally, or do, the choice is yours! Get
down to the meat. Who are you? What do you believe? Tell us about your dreams, your
crazy Aunt Martha, or your job scooping ice cream last summer. Who do you dream of
meeting? Ever wanted to jam out with Bob Marley? Great! We want to know! Be real and
authentic. We're in the business to make you successful people. How do you want us
to do that? Think outside the box. We give you permission.
1. Tell us who you are by giving us two truths and a lie. Give us three facts about you, or what we will believe to be facts, and describe them in detail. We want you to keep us guessing, so be sure to include "facts" we cannot find in another section of your application.
2. What if...?
What if you had to communicate only in hieroglyphics? What if the Pringles can was large enough in diameter to fit the average sized human hand? What if you became President of the United States? What burning "what if" question do you want answered? Ask your own and share your response with us.
3. Create your own essay prompt! Give us a prompt, any prompt you want, and write about it. We will even go one step further and make this an essay prompt contest. Your essay prompt may just be one of next year's essays for the Class of 2024. Creativity awaits! Please refrain from using Common App or other existing prompts.
4. Bonding refers to social networks that are limited to people who are similar but bridging refers to social networks among more diverse people. "In fact, bonding has been described as useful for getting by, but bridging is what is needed to get ahead." - Robert Putnam
What does this quote mean to you? Describe why there is a need for bridging in this world. How would you be a bridge builder?
5. "It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well." - Albus Dumbledore, character from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
What do you "wear well" that initially came as a surprise?
Answer the following short answer questions (2,500 characters max, including spaces and punctuation for each answer).
Who would you want to spend a day with and why? What would you do? Where would you go?
Describe a skill you would like to learn and tell us why. This can be tangible or intangible.
The Mahurin Honors College seeks applicants with a variety of interests and experiences, evaluating applicants in four areas: Activities, Volunteer Services, Honors and Awards, and Work Experiences.
- Summarize your activities, experiences, and awards. Maximum of 10 responses per component.
- Limit your responses to activities and awards completed within the past four years. If you were involved in more than 10 activities, list only those you feel are the most relevant and significant experiences.
- If you choose not to list any activities, simply return to the main menu. These components are not required. You may complete as many or as few as you choose.