Places to visit while at WKU
Campus opportunities while visiting WKU's Hardin Planetarium
Groups of more than 40 who are visiting the Planetarium should plan to split their group into small sub-groups. These sub-groups may visit other venues on campus while awaiting their show at the Planetarium. If you are interested in any of them, you should contact them directly to make your own arrangements and schedule. The Planetarium does not make arrangements for other departments on campus. You may call the office of the College of Arts and Science at 270-745-6180 to inquire about other science-related activities. Or you may pursue direct contact with individual venues at the University.
Here are just some of the possibilities:
- The Confucius Institute: a wonderful look into Chinese culture with interactive programs for students of all ages. These programs are free. A five to seven minute walk from the Planetarium. Call 270-745-2836.
- The Kentucky Museum (A ten to twelve minute walk from the Planetarium. There is a charge for these programs):
- offers special art programs for students and a chance to tour the Kentucky Museum. Contact Christy Spurlock at 270-745-6082 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- offers a career-readiness tour of WKU including visiting the Kentucky Museum
- Architectural and Manufacturing Services offers tours of the robotics lab to groups of 25 people or less. Good for 4th grades and above. A two minute walk from the Planetarium.Contact Dr. Greg Arbuckle, Department Chair at 270-745-2403 or email@example.com.
- SkyTeach, a WKU science and math teachers program, offers programs for school groups in selected aspects of science and astronomy. A two minute walk from the Planetarium. Contact Dr. Rico Tyler at 270-745-4707 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Theatre and Dance has childrens' performances and related activities during certain times of the year. There is sometimes a charge for these services. Contact Ellen Glatman, 270-745-3121 or email@example.com.
The Planetarium does not provide meal opportunities. However, you can contact WKU Restaurant & Catering Group to inquire about special accommodations for your group on campus. You can call Barbara Norton in Catering at 270-745-2146 for things like box lunches; or call Kirsten at 270-745-2416 to find out about meal tickets to the Food Court.
There are also many nearby venues in and around Bowling Green for out-of-towners to combine with their visit the the Planetarium. Check with the BG Visitors Center for an up-to-date listing and contact information, at 800-326-7465 or VisitBGKY.com. Here are some options:
- Lost River Cave
- The Historic Rail Park Museum
- The Corvette Museum
- The South Union Shaker Village
- The Riverview House, a Victorian museum
- Jackson's Orchard
- Aviation Heritage Park
- SkyPAC (Southern Kentucky Performing Arts Center)
- The Public Theatre
- Orchestra Kentucky or the Symphony
- Bowling Green Skatepark
- BG Hot Rods minor league baseball
- Many fine restaurants and eateries