Facebook Pixel The Graduate School - Degree Completion Checklist | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

The Graduate School - Degree Completion Checklist

Degree Completion Checklist

This checklist provides information regarding the process and procedures to follow as a graduate degree-seeking student. Prior to the end of the final semester, all necessary academic records must be on file in the Graduate School office (e.g., official transcripts for transfer work, program of study, course changes, etc.). All coursework must be also be submitted by the last day of Finals Week for a given term. If any of these items is missing from the student's file, graduation will be delayed.

It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of and complete all degree requirements and paperwork necessary for graduation.

PROGRAM OF STUDYThis form should be filed during the first 12 hours of course work. If the Graduate School office does not have this form on file by the completion of 12 hours, a registration hold will be placed on the student's record. This hold will not be lifted until the Program of Study, with all appropriate signatures, is on file in The Graduate School.

FORM D (Admission to Candidacy) — This form is no longer used.

PROGRAM OF STUDY CHANGE FORMThis form is used to change electives, etc. on your approved degree program. Its purpose is to substitute, add, or delete courses from your program and must be signed by you and your advisor before being sent to the Graduate School. If you are substituting a transfer course from another institution, an official transcript from that university must be sent to the Graduate School.

TRANSFER CREDITS—Transfer credits must meet the criteria as specified in the current graduate catalog. When sending transcripts, send them directly to Western Kentucky University, either via an approved electronic transfer method, or to The Graduate School, 1906 College Heights Blvd. #11010, Bowling Green, KY 42101-1010.

THESIS/SPECIALIST PROJECT/DISSERTATIONYou must submit your thesis/project/dissertation by the listed deadline. The thesis/project/dissertation must be in final form and approved by all members of your committee. During any semester/summer term in which the thesis/project /dissertation is being actively pursued or is submitted, you must be enrolled in graduate course work or Maintaining Matriculation (600 for thesis; 700 for specialist project; 800 for dissertation).

COMPREHENSIVE EXAM/CAPSTONE COMPLETION—The comprehensive examination/thesis must be satisfactorily completed. The major advisor must be contacted regarding the scheduling of the written/oral examination. Written comprehensive exam applications can be obtained from your department of study. This is a report to the Graduate School verifying successful completion of the comprehensive exam and must be submitted by the program advisor.

APPLICATION FOR GRADUATION—This application should be submitted on TopNet with the appropriate fee for the degree at least one semester prior to the date on which the degree is to be conferred. If you wish your name to appear in the commencement program, you must submit the Application for Graduation fee by the deadline printed in the schedule bulletin.

To submit your application for graduation, follow these steps:

  1. Sign on to Topnet with your WKU ID and PIN.
  2. Follow the 'Student Services' link.
  3. Follow the 'Student Records' link.
  4. Follow the 'Application for Graduation' link and fill out the form provided.

INCOMPLETE COURSE WORK—If any course work remains incomplete at the time of expected degree completion, a student will not be permitted to graduate until the grade changes are available from the Registrar's Office. Students are responsible for keeping up with incomplete grades and contacting individual professors for directions in completing the course requirements. The Graduate School office is not responsible for notifying students of incomplete grades, nor changing these grades.

TEACHER CERTIFICATION—The Office of Teacher Certification should be contacted for all questions regarding certification at 270-745-4300. Teacher Certification Applications (TC-1 Forms) must be submitted at least three weeks prior to the completion of requirements to prevent delay in processing. Applications may be obtained from the Office of Professional Educator Services (located in the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences Dean's Office), Gary Ransdell Hall, Room 2052. The Graduate School office is not responsible for providing transcripts or other documentation for processing certification applications.


If you have questions concerning the completion of your degree, please contact Graduate Records in 207 Wetherby Administration Building, at 270-745-2446.


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 1/30/18