WKU Student Information
- Math Placement
- Developmental Course Placement
- College Readiness Indicators
- International Students
- Adult Learners
- Academic Support Programs & Resources
- Contact Us
College Readiness in Kentucky
The Office of International Programs strives to complement Western Kentucky University's vision to be A Leading American University with International Reach. The International Studies Office through campus wide internationalization initiatives contributes to the WKU mission to prepare students to be productive, engaged, and socially responsible citizen leaders of a global society.
There are a variety of services available through the WKU International Studies Center to assist international students in assessing their readiness for American college courses. This office also helps to provide services to international students to help them become college ready and maintain progress toward higher education goals at WKU after enrollment.
This site will provide links to services available through the international studies office to these students needing college readiness services such as:
- International Reach University Experience course-Offered Fall semester—Accessible only to undergraduate level students (This course encompasses the University Experience goal of enhancing critical thinking, library education, exploration of campus resources, and transition to university experience. It also pairs international students with American students. This course also offers a cultural component including excursions on and off campus to expose students to a variety of intercultural experiences. ) For more information, contact Dr. Ken Kuehn, Interim Department Head for the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tips for Advising International Students. This form offers information to students and advisors on all requirements needed for admission and continued compliance with academic requirements for international students at WKU.
- Talk on Fridays—English conversation hour is held every Friday, 3 p.m. - 4 p.m. at Sofia-Downing Office of International Programs. Contact: email@example.com
- English conversation tutor is available through the AARC office. Students can go to AARC office practice English conversation skills with a tutor.
- English as a Second Language - DENG 051C - Jean Nehm (WKU South Campus) Introduction to American Academic Culture - UCC 200C - Jean Nehm - Graduate students.
- English as a Second Language Institute—(The ESLI curriculum focuses on the needs and goals of each student. When students enroll in ESLI, they take a placement test to determine which of 3 levels of instruction is appropriate. Levels include foundations, intermediate, and pre-university, and each level targets students' abilities and motivates the students to progress in their language acquisition as quickly as possible. Students learn, practice and use English in real and practical ways that are functional and life changing.) Contact Ryan Hall, Director, Tate Page firstname.lastname@example.org
- Navitas—Alternative pathway into WKU undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. Navitas at WKU courses are equivalent to WKU's first year undergraduate course work. Contact: Dr. Dean Kahler, Executive Director, email@example.com
- WKU Study Abroad--Many students realize that the professional world is becoming more global and to have international experiences while obtaining higher education would be an asset to their resume and make them more marketable in career aspirations. Most students have no idea where to begin to obtain opportunities to study abroad. They also often don't know what type of preparation they would need to complete to be eligible for these experiences. The WKU study abroad office helps provide the guidance for students to overcome these obstacles to a global education.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,