Bachelor of Science in Geological Science
Geological science is the science of our Planet and often known as the science of the 21st century, as it is ground zero for tackling global challenges like managing land, water, ocean, space, mineral, and energy resources in a sustainable way. Society’s interest in the environment and climate change is growing fast. The time has never been better to become a geological scientist.
The Bachelor of Science degree in Geological Sciences can provide a wide variety of career options, including jobs in the corporate (environmental, engineering, mining, industry, energy), government (surveys, agencies, park service), and academic sectors. Our program takes a holistic approach, as traditional geology has become increasingly interdisciplinary. Our classes feature interactive student-centered active learning, both in the field exploring the earth and in the lab creating simulations and analytical works. Students also enjoy excellent opportunities to work with faculty and other students on a variety of research topics.
We offer two tracks for the Bachelor of Science in Geological Sciences
Quick Facts for Geological Sciences
- 59 semester hours are required for those interested in Environmental Earth Science track in the program.
- 65 semester hours are required for those interested in the Geology track in the program.
- A minor program is NOT required.
- Classrooms are equipt with unique economic and critical minerals, rocks, sediment cores, and fossil samples, state-of-the-art analytical and microscopy, high quality image processing, and computational facilities.
- Core Geological Sciences courses provide amazing field trip opportunities during the semester including the Mammoth Cave course.
- Faculty-sponsored advanced research opportunities.
- Study away opportunity.
- Research presentation opportunity at WKU, national, and international research conferences.
- Active Student Club (WKU Geology Club).
- Provide in-State Tuition for Border States with Kentucky.
- This major provides students with a versatile background in geological sciences for entry-level employment or graduate school.
- This program provides the knowledge base for students to pursue the Professional Geologist licensure.