Fly Fishing Missoula, MT
REC 480 - Fly Fishing Montana
Travel-based Learning in Recreation & Tourism (3 hrs)
Travel: Sept 16-21, 2019
Join us for a fantastic course designed to teach you the fundamentals of fly fishing. Fly fishing is a lifetime leisure pursuit; treat yourself to some quality instruction to jump start the learning curve.
Please contact Dr. Raymond Poff via e-mail email@example.com for specific details about this course.
- Acquire an understanding of fly fishing equipment.
- Be able to tie key knots needed for fly fishing.
- Effectively tie common fly patterns.
- Demonstrate proper fly casting techniques.
- Effectively present flies when fishing on flat and moving water.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of entomology as it relates to fishing.
Important things to know:
- No prior fishing experience is required.
- Fly fishing equipment is provided to use during the course.
- Course includes on-campus and off-campus instruction.
- Yes, we do go fly fishing and students do catch fish.
- Students are responsible for transportation to off-campus locations.
Montana Travel Portion:
Armed with the knowledge and skills gained during our Fall Semester first bi-term on-campus class sessions, come join us and experience fly fishing on world renowned waters containing 5 species of trout: rainbow, brown, cutthroat, hybrid cutbow, and brook. These waters offer anglers a chance at a "Grand Slam" (catching 4-5 species of trout in one day).
Program cost: (see right column) includes: 4 full days of fly fishing and instruction (float trips with one guide and 2 anglers/boat), use of fly fishing equipment (rod, reel, etc.), fishing license, terminal tackle (leader, tippet, flies), guide gratuity, 5 nights lodging, lunch Tuesday-Friday, and Missoula airport hotel shuttle. Students in this option will fly to Missoula on Monday. Transportation to/from Missoula, MT not included in program cost.
Discounted fly fishing equipment packages will also be available for registered participants interested in purchasing some great new fly fishing gear.
We are pleased to continue our long-term relationship with Russell Parks, Missoula Fly Fishing Outfitters LLC #9928 licensed Montana Outfitter who has provided our guiding services since 2011. We are also happy to continue working with the Missoulian Angler fly shop in Missoula, MT; Missoula's oldest fly shop.
Contact Dr. Poff
WKU REC 480 (3 credit hrs.)
Fly Fishing Montana
Sept 16-21, 2019
Program Cost* TBA
*June 1 = deadline for priority application and payment of deposit. This deadline will be used to determine final program cost.
Tentative Itinerary for REC 480 Students
Monday- Arrive in Missoula, MT
Tuesday - Full day fly fishing & instruction
Wednesday - Full day fly fishing & instruction
Thursday - Full day fly fishing & instruction
Friday - Full day fly fishing & instruction
Saturday - Say goodbye to Montana and head home.