The Symphony at WKU
2013 Concert Tour of China
The chance of a lifetime to perform in China. Highlights include performing with several Chinese groups and visiting the Great Wall and Forbidden City.
UPDATED PAYMENT INFORMATION and SYLLABUS
Anticipated Learning Outcomes
- To perform collaborative concerts at three of our partner universities in China. Each concert will feature guest artists and/or musicians from our host universities performing with The Symphony at WKU.
- To learn about the culture of China through guided and unguided tours as well as these collaborative performances.
The Program Leaders may determine other eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants shall meet these requirements:
- Membership in The Symphony at WKU 2012-2013 academic year (audition required).
- Permission of instructor(s)
- Current WKU student eligible to register for WKU courses
- Good academic standing (Undergraduate Catalog p.27; Graduate Catalog p.30)
- 18 years of age or older at time of departure
- Eligible to obtain a visa for destinations and through all transit points (if needed) as determined by US State Department and host country
- Possess passport valid for at least six (6) months after return date
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs
- Full payment (or signed payment agreement) prior to departure
- Completion of all pre-departure orientation
As a member of the 2012-2013 Symphony at WKU, you will perform throughout the academic year culminating in the China tour. The Symphony will travel to China on a program funded in part by WKU and Chinese partner institutions. Other members of the WKU community will also travel with the Symphony.
- Successful audition. Follow this link for details.
- Students are required to complete the Study Abroad & Global Learning application process prior to being registered in this course.
- Includes 1- or 2-credit hour tuition ($354 or $708 estimated value), round-trip airfare, accommodations and meals, group excursions, and medical insurance.
- Not included in program fee: transportation from home to the U.S. departure airport /return from airport to your home, and personal spending money. The course includes a group flight that originates and returns to Nashville.
- Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
- Study Abroad courses are not eligible for employee tuition waiver.
You may contact Student Financial Assistance to determine your funding options if needed. You will need to provide the course number, name, your name and 800#, and the Study Abroad course fee as stated above, in the email you send to financial aid.
- Link here for WKU WorldTopper Scholarship and other funding options
- Study Abroad courses are not eligible for employee tuition waiver
- Symphony Board Scholarship
- A portion of the program fee will be paid by WKU and Chinese partner organization. Students will be responsible for a portion of the program fee. The final amount will be determined in the fall of 2012.*
You may contact Student Financial Assistance to determine your funding options if needed. You will need to provide the course number, name, your name and WKU ID (800#), and the program fee as stated above, in the email you send to financial aid.
Check out the budget calculation form as well. this will help you determine all your costs
- MUS 338 - Performance Tour
- MUS 338 - Honors
- MUS 538 - Performance Tour
- Students select one course
- Dr. Bill Scott
- Baoding, Beijing and Xi'an (optional), China
- May 2013
Core Concert Tour: May 12 – 22, 2013
Xi’an Extension: May 12 – 26, 2013
- Core Concert Tour $1,455
Xi’an Extension: $2,138
- Payment schedule
October 16: $250
- non-refundable deposit that counts toward the program payment
- Balance billed - February 2013 *
Core Concert Tour = $1,205
Xi’an Extension = $1,888
* Final amount TBD and billed to your TOPNET account.
- May 12, 2013 - Depart for China
- May 22, 2012 – Core Concert Tour Returns from China
- May 26, 2013 – Xi’an Extension Return from China *
- June 26, 2013 - Post-program assessment
* subject to change
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,