Mystic Landscapes of the Emerald Island
The Mystic Landscapes of the Emerald Island is a program designed to explore the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland from a physical, cultural and environmental geography perspective. This is a three week program that starts and finishes in Dublin along with an opportunity to circumnavigate the entire island while exploring these themes. As this program is now in its fifth rotation there have been many relationships created with locals to create an amazing program for the students to explore and investigate the area. This program travels by bus with an experienced driver that the program uses regularly.
Students will have the opportunity to register for one or two courses for this program. These courses are both included in the general education requirements at WKU. Geography 103 is in the explorations category and Geography 452 is in the Local to Global category. Students may take both of the courses or six hours of the 452 course. Many students from a variety of majors are drawn to this program because of the flexibility of the courses within their graduation requirements. In the four years we have had a handful of majors from the department but a majority of our students come from all of the colleges.
- Recognize common forms of supernatural belief and practice in contemporary Irish life.
- Correctly apply analytic constructs of cultural geography to observations made onsite in Ireland.
- Identify both culture-specific and cross-cultural patterns in supernatural belief.
- Maintain and apply an appropriately relativistic stance toward unfamiliar belief and practice.
- Develop a personal approach that is open, rational, and critical to accounts of the supernatural, and grasp the basics of ethnographic inquiry.
- Better recognize, understand and apply personal beliefs and practices pertaining to the supernatural.
Students can earn 3 or 6 hours in:
- GEOG/GEOL 103 (3 credits): Our Dynamic Planet*
- GEOG 452 (3 credits): Geoscience Field Experience
* This class fits into Exploration Level of the Colonnade Program under category C Natural and Physical Sciences. This course fulfills the Category D Science general education requirement for students entered WKU in Spring 2014 or earlier.
** This class fits into Connections Level of the Colonnade Program under category B Local to Global.
- Inis Mor
- Summer 2018
June 6 - 26, 2018
- International Airfare Not Included
- See Program Details with the Apply Now link.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,