Learn more about WKU's Iceland Partnership
Explore the science of climate change, learn how to effectively communicate about complex climate science issues, discuss the importance of promoting environmental sustainability, and engage in conversations about future communities in the face of climate change, all while traveling across Iceland and experiencing both the natural and cultural environment.
What to Expect
- Students will explore the science and communication of climate change, including topics such as oceanic acidification, melting glaciers, geothermal energy, volcanic impacts, and sustainability practices, while simultaneously being immersed in the local culture, to develop an appreciation of the challenges of climate change on an island in the North Atlantic.
- The itinerary includes a variety of outdoor activities (hiking, ocean exploration, caving, water sampling), classroom/lab based activities, and community based service learning, with instruction provided by WKU and University of Akureyri faculty.
- Students will develop problem solving, communication, cross-cultural learning, field methods, community service, interdisciplinary teamwork, personal leadership, and engagement skills in this high latitude adventure!
- Earn 5 credit hours
- Meet climate change experts in Iceland
- Complete $100 Solution® Project
- Explore glaciers
- Visit geothermal sites
- Stand on two tectonic plates
- Get to know real Icelanders
Each course in the program will have specific learning goals. However, the overall learning goals include:
- Employ experiential learning in order to better understand climate change within a community and globally.
- Analyze the impact of climate change on a specific region of the globe.
- Develop an understanding for dealing with climate change (special emphasis will be placed on service learning).
- Create an academic learning community.
- Dr. Jason Polk
- Dr. Leslie North
- Dr. Bernie Strenecky
- Summer 2015
- May 26 - June 9
- $2,999 - $3,199 (est)
- Airfare not included with optional group flight available.
- See program details for flight options
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,