A Study Away and Faculty-Led Study Abroad course
Canada and Washington State:
Citizen and Self in the Salish Sea
Core requirement of Honors can now be taken as a Study Away/Study Abroad course!
Citizen and Self offers students a chance to think about how their academic, personal, and professional goals relate to the challenges facing American democracy.
The Salish Sea is the body of water encompassing Puget Sound (U.S.) and the Strait of Georgia (Canada) in the Pacific Northwest. It is split in half by the international maritime border and surrounded by numerous sovereign Indian nations. Hemmed in by two mountain ranges, the rivers spilling into the Salish Sea provide spawning grounds for salmon. This program explores the meaning of citizenship and national identity in this complicated maritime borderlands. Students have a choice of enrolling in either Honors 251 or Honors 300.
Program requires a specific application (coming soon).
- Seattle area
- Olympic National Park
- British Columbia
- San Juan Island National Historic Park
- Students will learn how to interpret the cultural, economic, and environmental lifeways of a maritime borderlands region.
- Students will gain international experience.
- Students will develop an understanding of the legal and historical issues surrounding Native American fishing rights.
- Students will learn about how to incorporate a range of sources and texts into their writing, with an emphasis on supporting arguments with credible evidence. This course advances the goals of WKU’s Quality Enhancement Plan, Evidence & Argument.
Student Eligibility - Program leaders may determine stricter eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants earning credit in a program would meet these requirements:
- Application process, please visit www.wku.edu/honors/education-abroad/citizen_self.php
for more information and requirements for this living-learning opportunity.
- Current WKU Honors student eligible to register for WKU courses,
- Good academic standing as defined in the Undergraduate Catalog or Graduate Catalog,
- A minimum of 16 years of age at time of departure (parental/legal guardian expressed, written consent required for those under 18 at time of departure) Refer to program green sheet for program specific details,
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by the WKU Office of Student Conduct
- Students who become ineligible to attend the program after applying due to disciplinary sanctions will be subject to standard program cost penalty rates. Students are responsible for notifying the Office of Study Away when they become aware of this ineligibility. For eligibility questions pertaining to disciplinary sanctions, students should contact the WKU Office of Student Conduct.
- Students must possess passport valid for at least six (6) months after return date,
- Possess a valid form of Government issued identification (i.e. driver’s license) as required to fly within the United States,
- Complete pre-departure program,
- Students must complete the Study Abroad & Global Learning Application Process prior to being registered in this course. We suggest you start this application process immediately and respond to all emails promptly.
- Full payment prior to departure, and
- Permission of instructor.
If a student completes a program without full payment prior to the departure, the student should receive an incomplete until the obligation is paid. DELO will inform faculty leaders if a student is in this situation prior to the Study Away term grade deadline.
Courses are not eligible for employee tuition waivers or discounts.
Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
- Hon 251: Citizen and Self
- HON 300: Interdisciplinary Seminar
- Dr. Alexander Olson
- Dr. Nicolette Bruner
- British Columbia (Canada)
- Washington State (USA)
- Summer 2018
June 1 - 14, 2018
See Progarm Details for Package
- Syllabus (coming soon)
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,