Guidance for Program Leaders
- Leading A Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program: Introduction for Program Leaders (January 2015)
- Program Development Flowchart (coming soon)
- FLSA Administrative Manual (coming soon)
Please download these documents.
They broad and detailed outlines on the process for developing and leading an FLSA program.
Your Role with Student Applications
Program Development Resources
The Office of International Programs offer specific support to development programs:
Other opportunities: http://www.wku.edu/honors/faculty/opportunities.php
Faculty Support and Program Development
- DELO encourages new and experienced leaders to create new programs and to enhance current programs, respectively, through a program development grant.
Standards of Good Practice
Preparedness training and risk management
- The SAFETI Clearinghouse has emergency planning resources for institutions (h) with the goal to empower students to be prepared and enable them to respond, especially if they are not with the group.
- The SAFETI Clearinghouse has also developed a few specific documents to help with planning. This includes a sample Emergency Card, steps to develop a Personal Emergency Action Plan, and sample Emergency Action Plan Steps for students found here.
- The U.S. State Department offers a website for student travel, which includes a printable fill-in-the-blank emergency card.
- The complete Student Travel page is located here.
Course Development Resources
Materials under development in which faculty leader input is requested (coming soon)
- FLSA Student Code of Conduct
- Professional Development & Training Program
- Leader Preparedness Program
Mentors and Leadership
Within the FLSA development process, it is important to speak with your department head prior to developing the syllabus. Your college's IEAC liaison can also provided information about how to prepare to lead a program abroad. Locate your IEAC Liaison at this link. http://www.wku.edu/oip/iec.php
It is important to review the Standards of Conduct for all WKU employees: http://www.wku.edu/policies/docs/148.pdf
Challenges and Opportunities
Teaching a study abroad course offers unique challenges not faced in the traditional classroom setting. The Forum on Education Abroad provides resources to you to make the most of your program.
Don't Be Surprised... Prepare!
All FLSA programs need an Emergency Action Plan. Learn how to develop your EAP.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,