For Program Leaders
A solid learning plan places a priority on the academic learning outcomes determined by the destination(s).
The plan should address the goals of providing:
- meaningful academic content,
- opportunities for personal growth,and
- improved cultural awareness.
How is an FLSA defined?
- FLSA courses are WKU credit-bearing course for which a substantial portion of the course includes travel to destinations in which a US citizen needs a passport.
- FLSA courses are either taught by a WKU faculty or other appropriate WKU employee.
- FLSA courses are set-up in Banner with specific attributes that define it as an FLSA course.
- FLSA courses may only be offered within the Winter Term or Summer Session and not during the fall or spring semesters.
- Course creation and faculty compensation fall under the procedures outlined in WKU policy.
May I teach a Colonnade course?
Colonnade courses are an important component for FLSA programs. The Connection level in particular are well suited for study abroad.
Or you may want to create a new Colonnade course specifically designed for study abroad.
May I teach a Graduate section?
Faculty leaders may wish to add a graduate section as well. Again, a separate syllabus is normally included in the proposal. And you must be approved to teach graduate courses.
May I teach an Honors section?
Honors Section Options
Yes. FLSA is great for students seeking Honors credit
If the course is an upper-division, faculty-led course, then student can do an Honors Augmentation contract. There does not need to be a different syllabus. The student contracts the project with the professor, and then it is approved by the Honors College before the start of the summer term.Learn more.
Honors Embedded Section
Honors Embedded Section
Or you may choose to offer an embedded Honors section (HEEC). For this, a separate syllabus with the additional Honors requirements is included with the proposal. It is best to contact the Honors College for details on how best to create an honors section.
Financial Support From Honors College
Financial Support From the Honors College
There are funding opportunities for both faculty and students for Honors coursework.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,