Facebook Pixel Veterans Affairs | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Veterans Affairs

Welcome to Western Kentucky University's

Office of Veterans Affairs Online Orientation


Please read the following information carefully.

At the end of this orientation, you will be required to answer some questions and then submit a confirmation page to the VA Office (VAO) showing you have read this information and that you understand all of the information contained herein.

This confirmation will be placed in your file in the VAO.

If you have questions regarding any of the information contained in this presentation, you may contact the VAO at 270-745-3732. Click a topic below to expand; click again to close. Download a printable PDF version of this information.

Throughout this presentation you will encounter the following acronyms.

VAO – VA Office at WKU
DVA – Department of Veterans Affairs
VA Certifying Official – The VA representative in the VA Office at WKU. The VA Certifying Officials for the Department of Veterans Affairs are your liaisons. Contact them if you encounter difficulties you can not resolve
The application for VA education benefits does not constitute admission to WKU. Application for admission to the university must be made through the Office of Admissions. You may contact the Office of Admissions at 270-745-2551 or online at https://www.wku.edu/admissions .You cannot be certified to the DVA unless you have been admitted to the university and registered in classes. 
You are responsible for paying your tuition and fees to the university. You should be prepared to pay your tuition and fees up front and begin to receive your monthly VA educational benefits after you attend class and have been certified to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). If you have applied for a Tuition Waiver and have been approved, your waiver will be posted automatically to your student bill.  

DVA pays a monthly stipend for each month that you actually attend classes. VA educational benefits are not based on the University's tuition and fees.

Training time dictates the monthly rate of pay. Active duty service members receive tuition and fees reimbursal only. Change in training time will affect payment. 

Training time varies in Summer due to accelerated terms. Check the list for the hours required for summer training. If you do not receive your monthly stipend, you should contact the DVA at 1-888-442-4551. 

While waiting to be paid your monthly stipends from the DVA, you may need to request a deferment of tuition from the Office of Veterans Affairs at WKU. If you do not request the deferment, your bill will be due up front to the university by you. DVA works with a lag time, and the deferment is required in order to prevent your classes from being dropped or a late fee added. However, your Certification Request Form must be submitted (and your VA file complete by the first day of the semester) before you can request a deferment.

If you choose to request a deferment, you will have a "hold" placed on your student account until your bill is paid in full by yourself and/or DVA. This "hold" will prevent you from dropping/adding classes, receiving grades, transcripts, etc. 

The Deferment Request can be submitted online on the VA Forms page.
Students who are interested in on-campus housing should contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life by calling 270-745-4359 or visiting their website at https://www.wku.edu/housing.

You may be eligible for financial assistance (grants, loans, etc.) even if receiving VA Educational Benefits. The process of applying for financial aid begins with the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may file via the Internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov . Federal financial aid cannot affect your VA Educational Benefits.  However, your VA may reduce the amount of financial assistance you are eligible to receive. 

Every semester, upon completion of registration, you must submit a Veteran Certification Request Form to the VA Office at WKU (via your TopNet account under the Financial Aid tab).  Certification Request Forms are processed in the order in which they are received.

You will not be certified until you have submitted this form and any other documentation required to certify your courses in accordance with DVA regulations. 

The VAO requires at least 2-3 weeks to certify your classes to the DVA after you submit your Certification Request Form. During peak times it may take longer.

However, the DVA requires approximately 12-14 weeks to process your initial application for benefits. Certifications will vary depending upon the work load at DVA.

If you have questions about the status of your certification, you should call DVA at 1-888-442-4551.

You will receive benefits only for those courses that apply to your degree and are certified by your VA Certifying Official. The Certifying Official will not intentionally certify courses that are not part of your declared program of study.

You may take any course you want, but DVA will not pay for it unless it is listed on your degree program as a required course for graduation.

Repeat courses are not certifiable unless required by the university to make a grade of "C" or better. If you repeat the course a second time, the VA Certifying Official must go back and reduce your benefits from the 1st semester in which you registered for the course.  This will create an overpayment to DVA.

DVA will not pay for you to take an audited course.

You must be degree seeking in order to be certified to DVA.

A Change In Status Form should be submitted to the VA Office at WKU when you add a class or classes after submission of your initial Certification Request Form. If you drop or withdraw, the VA Office at WKU will automatically be notified of those changes; however, any additional classes you add must be submitted through this form.  

The VAO will monitor your Program of Study through your online interactive degree audit (iCAP audit). If you are pursuing a second degree, you are required to submit to the VAO a copy of your official degree program your first semester at WKU. If you are pursuing a master's degree, you are required to submit to the VAO a copy of your Form C. The VAO needs to monitor all classes according to your degree program.
A change in your major must be reported to the VA Office at WKU so that applicable forms can be submitted to the DVA. You must only register for classes that apply to your new major.  If you change your major in the middle of the semester, all classes in the current semester, must meet degree requirements for the new major.
You must keep your address current. You must notify VA if your address changes. Your address change can be made by telephone by calling 1-888-442-4551 or in writing to VARO, P.O. Box 66830, St. Louis, MO 63155-6830. You also need to notify the VA Coordinator and the Registrar's Office.

Failure to notify these entities could result in loss of important information to the veteran.
You must make satisfactory progress toward your degree objective. Specifically, your GPA must meet the guidelines detailed in the current WKU catalog. 
You must make satisfactory academic progress with the university. You must also attend the course(s) in which you enroll. If you are placed on academic suspension, your VA educational benefits will be terminated for the duration of the suspension. If you are placed on probation, the DVA will be notified. 

An overpayment can result if you drop below the training time that was originally reported to the DVA and you fail to notify the VAO in a timely manner. 

Example: You are certified full-time and then drop a class, which puts you below full-time. If VA continues to pay you at the full-time rate (even though you are below full-time), when the reduction is reported, you will receive an overpayment letter and those funds will need to be repaid to DVA.

Upon initial registration to the university you will be issued a WKU email address. Students will be notified periodically about important information through this form of communication.

This will be the email address that the VAO will use to correspond with all veterans and dependents.  If you do not know how to access your WKU email account, please visit https://www.wku.edu/it/webmail/

WKU does not participate in Advance Payment.

You can view the date that you are certified by checking your WKU TopNet account. The date you are certified, along with how many courses are certifiable, will be posted under your account. You can view this information by logging into your account, and clicking on Student Services/Financial Aid/Awards/Veteran Information.

You must notify the VAO of ANY and ALL changes within five (5) working days. Your VA Certifying Official will then notify the DVA. 

Questions concerning the status of your application, remaining benefits, the status of your benefit check, etc., may be obtained by contacting the DVA.

Mailing Address: Department of Veterans Affairs
9700 Page Avenue
Suite 101-Education
St. Louis, MO 63132-1502
Telephone: 1-888-442-4551.
DVA website: http://www.gibill.va.gov

Telephone: 270-745-3732
Fax: 270-745-6586
Email: va.questions@wku.edu

Feel free to contact the VAO with any questions that you may have. We will respond in a timely manner to assist you with your questions. 

The Certification Request Form and the Change In Status Form is listed on the VAO website at www.wku.edu/financialaid/veteran

The Certification Request Form is submitted once you have finalized your class schedule for the semester. The Change In Status Form is used after you submit your Certification Request Form and have added additional courses not previously on the Certification Request Form. 


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 2/19/18