Accounts Payable - Frequently Asked Questions
Accounts Payable - Frequently Asked Questions
- Why did I receive an email informing me there was a deposit going to my account?
- If you are an employee, any reimbursements will be done via ACH. An email notification
will be sent when the bank transaction has been initiated.
- How can I tell if an invoice has been paid?
- If you have access to FAIVNDH in Banner, you may look up the vendor by ID number and
review pay history.
- When is a W-9 form required?
- W-9 forms are required for all new vendors. The W-9 only has to be submitted one
time to Accounts Payable. If the vendor changes their name, status, or TIN, please submit a new W-9.
- When do I need to use a Determination of Contractor Status (CSF) form?
- A signed Contractor Status Form (CSF) needs to be submitted each time an individual performs a service.
- What is a Form 16?
- Form 16 is a payroll form used to pay employees who perform functions on campus other
that their assigned jobs. A Payment Authorization cannot be used to pay an employee.
- How much may I make a Payment Authorization (PA) for?
- Unless previously approved, the limit on a PA is $2,000.00
- How do I stop payment on a vendor check?
- Contact Accounts Payable at (270) 745-2246 or Jackie Alford with the check number and date.
- How do I stop a payment on payroll check?
- Contact Accounts Payable at (270) 745-2245 or Lynne Hutcheson with the check number and date.
- How long must I wait before a stop payment can be placed on a check?
- Generally, if the vendor name and address on the check are correct, a stop payment
cannot be placed on the check until 10 business days have passed. This delay gives
the vendor ample time to receive the check through the mail. For questions concerning
checks with incorrect vendor names or addresses or any other questions about stop
payments, please contact Jackie Alford or call 270-745-2246.
- How do I obtain copy of a check?
- Contact Accounts Payable or call (270) 745-2247 with the check number and date. If this information isn't
available, the payee's name is required. Accounts Payable cannot search by any numbers
other that WKU ID numbers (800), PO numbers or WK numbers.
- Who do I contact if I have questions concerning checks?
- Email Accounts Payable or call (270) 745-2247.
- Who should I contact to change a vendor's address?
- Email Jackie Alford or call (270) 745-2246.
- What should I do if a vendor says they didn't receive a check?
- Verify that the check has been issued by looking in Banner for the check. Note the
date of the check, the check number and the amount. If the check has been issued,
email Accounts Payable or call (270) 745-2246 or (270) 745-2247 to verify that the check is outstanding,
to obtain a copy of the paid check, or to place a stop payment on the check. If the
vendor's name and address on the check are correct, a stop payment cannot be placed
on that check until 10 business days have passed. This delay gives the vendor ample
time to receive the check through the mail.
- How do I pay/process an invoice for a purchase of goods/services that was made without
having a prepared a requisition?
- You must prepare a Retrofit requisition in TopShop and wait for Purchasing to establish a confirmation Purchase Order. Once established, you should forward
the invoice to Accounts Payable. Please be aware that procuring goods/services without an approved Purchase Order
is a violation of state law and university policy.
- Who do I contact regarding a Bursar-issued Student Check?
- The following are not issued by Accounts Payable: Student Financial Aid, Business
Office or Parent Loan Checks. If you have questions regarding a check issued via
the Bursar's Office contact the Billings & Receivables Office at (270) 745-6382.
- How can I tell what my payment is for?
- Reimbursements for travel has a number that begins with TR. If an invoice with an
invoice number was provided, the invoice number will be referenced on the check.
Otherwise a copy of the pay document will be enclosed with your check.
- I have a stale-dated check. What can I do to get it reissued?
- Contact Accounts Payable. If the check is returned to AP it can be replaced without an affidavit being signed.
Otherwise a signed/notarized affidavit is required to replace the check.
- If I want a check held for pick up how should I notify Accounts Payable?
- Please be sure to indicate this request on the document(s). Also, any additional
information that is added to TopShop regarding the document(s) can't be viewed by
- When do I have to obtain W-9 forms?
- All new vendors are required to complete a W-9 form. If an individual or company
is in Banner but does not have a W-9 form on file in Accounts Payable, one is required
before payment can be made.
- How do I obtain a Kentucky Sales Tax Exemption Certificate or WKU's Federal Identification
- Contact Brittney Green at (270) 745-3071.
- Who files the 1099-MISC information to the IRS at the end of the tax year?
- Accounts Payable reports all 1099-MISC information to the IRS by the end of each February
for the previous calendar year. For more information on 1099-MISC reporting, contact
Accounts Payable at (270) 745-2246.
- How do I learn more about allowable travel reimbursements or compiling travel documents?
- Please see WKU Travel page.
- Where can I find the reimbursement amounts for domestic or international per diem
- Please see WKU Travel page.
- What is a Pay Document?
- A Pay Document is required before a payment can be made. Each invoice, reimbursement
request, and etc. must include a Pay Document - Purchase Order (PO), Payment Authorization
(PA), Library Voucher (HL), Travel Voucher (TR), Emergency Loan (EL), Refund Voucher
(RV), or Multiple Payment Authorization (MP).
- Can I be reimbursed if I lost my receipt?
- All expenses must be accounted for with a receipt. A Travel lost receipt affidavit
can be prepared (online) for a lost travel receipt. This form is only used in extreme
cases and should be looked upon as a exception. It is a Travel Form and can only
be used when completing Travel/Group Travel Vouchers.
- Can I make the Payment Authorization Form print on one page?
- Yes. After completing the form do a Print Preview. The last button across the top
of the screen is "Shrink to Fit", change screen to 80%, or the percentage that allows
the form to print on one page.
- What type of Pay Documents does Accounts Payable process?
- Account Payable processes Purchase Orders, Payment Authorizations, Library Vouchers,
Travel Vouchers, Emergency Loans, Refund Vouchers and Multiple Payment Authorizations.
- When can a Multiple Payment Authorization be used?
- This form is only used for payment for services. All payments must be for the same
description but can be for different amounts. All payments must be less than $2,000.00.
An approved CSF must be attached along with a W-9 form, if one is not on file in Accounts
- Can a payment authorization be used to make a payment to a company/individual that
is not set up in Banner?
- Yes. The Payment Authorization form has two boxes under the address that can be checked.
The Payee's name and address can be added. A completed W-9 form must be attached.
- What payments may be made by a Payment Authorization?
- Payments under $2000.00 can be processed on Payment Authorization Forms, if approved
- May multiple invoices be processed on a single Payment Authorization?
- Yes, as long as the Index/Commodity Code information does not exceed the allotted
- How do I pay Personal Services Contracts and Performance Contracts?
- Both must be paid using Purchasing Orders.
- How do I pay Honorarium?
- If payment is less than $2,000.00, prepare a Payment Authorization Form and attach
an approved Contractor Status Form. Also, have a signed and fully completed W-9 form
from the payee and send all forms to Accounts Payable.
- To whom should I address questions about Credit Memos?
- Please send Credit Memos to Doug Neiman in Accounts Payable.
- Do you make payments from statements?
- Ordinarily, we only make payments from invoices. This is so that we have a detailed
listing of all goods or services that were ordered. The exception to this rule is
for companies that only send statements (i.e. utility companies, telephone companies,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,