Summary of good hood practices:
- Sash openings should be kept to a minimum.
- Sources of emission should be kept at least 6 in. inside the hood.
- Users should keep their faces outside the plane of the haod sash.
- Storage in the hood should he kept to a minimum.
- Traps, scrubbers, or incinerators should he used, when appropriate.
- Remain alert to changes in air flow, whether or not the alarm sounds. EH&S can check the flow rate even if the hood is not yet due for its annual performance check.
- To save energy, close sashes when hoods are not in use.
OSHA QuickFacts - Chemical Fume Hoods OSHA 3407 Rev. 10/2011
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,