The Downing Museum welcomes visitors to to view works by Joe Downing as a painter and sculptor; the collection includes examples of his abstraction and experimentation with different media formats including leather, linen, canvas, old wood, metal, staples, and found objects.
Additionally, visitors have the opportunity to watch the Emmy award-winning documentary Joe Downing: Poet of Color and Light. WKYU-PBS, Western Kentucky University's Public Television service, has been honored with two Emmy Awards by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Ohio Valley Chapter for this film—in the Nostalgia Program category (Producers Barbara Deeb and David Brinkley, Editor Stephen Kertis and Executive Producer Jerry Baker) and for Lighting in the craft category (David Brinkley).
Map this location: Downing Museum >>
- TAKE THE WILLIAM H. NATCHER PARKWAY EXIT TOWARD OWENSBORO, EXIT 20B
- GO TO EXIT 9, US-231/ MORGANTOWN RD.
- TURN RIGHT ON MORGANTOWN ROAD
- THE BAKER ARBORETUM AND DOWNING MUSEUM ARE LOCATED AT 4801 MORGANTOWN ROAD, 1/2 MILE WEST OF THE WILLIAM H. NATCHER PARKWAY, ON THE LEFT
- DO NOT TOUCH WORKS OF ART. This includes display cases, pedestals, frames, easels, etc.-dirt, moisture, and other contaminates on hands can stain or corrode the surfaces of artworks!
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Photography for personal use is permitted except when otherwise specified. Monopods, tripods, selfie sticks and FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY ARE NOT PERMITTED.
- NO FOOD OR BEVERAGES are permitted. Exceptions to this policy must receive approval beforehand.
- Phone calls are not allowed in the galleries.
- All tobacco use is prohibited in the museum. This includes the use of electronic cigarettes.
- Please refrain from running, yelling or other disruptive behavior.
- Umbrellas should be left in the umbrella stand outside the front door.
TUESDAY TO FRIDAY, 11:00 AM (CST) - 4:00 PM
SATURDAY, 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
NOT AVAILABLE FOR
(WEDDINGS, PARTIES, ETC.)
SUNDAY AND MONDAY
THE LAST TWO WEEKS OF DECEMBER
VIDEO + PHOTOGRAPHY ARE RESTRICTED
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,