Resources for Your Students
There are resources throughout the University dedicated to helping distance learners succeed. Below are a few of the most utilized, but there are many more available. Visit the Virtual Student Resource Center to learn more.
- The Online Learning Support Directory provides a comprehensive list of resources throughout the university designed specifically with distance learners in mind.
- Orientation for Online Learners provides an overview of distance learning at WKU. This orientation is available online
at /online/orientation/index.php, and through Blackboard (Bb). There are two Bb orientations available designed specifically
for graduate and undergraduate students, and include information such as research
funding, Human Subjects Review Board Guidelines, etc., while the website orientation
provides an overview not based on classification. The orientations will help students:
- Gain a better understanding of Online Learning as a whole
- Understand the process of enrolling in a distance course
- Learn about the functions of Blackboard
- Learn new strategies for success in an online environment
- Get acquainted with support available for distance learners at WKU
- Library Tutorial. The library tutorial section of the website provides a comprehensive "Getting Started" guide for students. Topics such as identifying research topics, finding articles, finding websites and using style manuals are addressed.
- Online Community for Distance Learners. Online learners have access to an online community designed specifically for them! The community serves as a place for distance learners to connect and interact with one another, as well as WKU faculty and staff. The community also serves as an information resource, providing helpful information on technology support, library services, succeeding in an online environment, the WKU and Bowling Green community, and more. In addition, Online Learning regularly posts announcements of deadlines, due dates, registration and other useful information. If you would like to participate, you can self-enroll here. Please note: you must be logged into Blackboard to enroll.
- Blackboard Student User Workshop takes students through the basics of using Blackboard. Students may register at https://asaweb2.wku.edu/atech/trainingsite/index.php?fuseaction=calendar.online. Access to the workshop is granted immediately upon registration.
- Ask Your Librarian provides easy access to a trained librarian through the Online Community. Roxanne Spencer, an Associate Professor in the Department of Library Public Services, is is here to help! So, if you have a question about research or just need some direction on the best place to start, just Ask Your Librarian!Students may post questions on the Discussion Board, in the thread titled, "Ask Your Librarian." Students are asked to allow 48 hours for a response. If the need is an immediate one, call the Helm-Cravens Library Reference Desk at (270) 745-6125, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact a Library Liaison for subject specific questions. For quick tips, visit our Library Services webpage.
- Online Tutoring. The Academic Advising and Retention Center (AARC) provides online tutoring for many of the courses required to complete general education requirements. For more information visit their website.
- The Online Writing Center. Writers need feedback from readers to help refine their writing. The Online Writing Center can give you this feedback. Feedback is provided by video, audio and in print for distance students. For more information visit http://www.wku.edu/online/srp/writing-center.php.
- The WKU Store. Order your books and have them shipped directly to you, or just find out which textbooks are required for your course(s) at www.wkustore.com/ or by calling (270) 745-2466 or 800-444-5155.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,