BSDH Online Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I become a registered dental hygienist through this online program?
- BSDH Online Program is for students who have previously graduated from an accredited dental hygiene program and hold a current license in dental hygiene.
- If I don't live in Kentucky can I still apply?
- WKU accepts applications from anyone living in the United States and Abroad as long as you meet the guidelines of graduating from a CODA accredited Dental Hygiene program in the U.S.
- How do I apply?
- First, students should apply for admission to Western Kentucky University. During the application process you should request to have your official transcripts sent to WKU.
- How many credits are accepted from other colleges?
- Most credits from regionally accredited institutions transfer at least as elective hours. Specifically, KCTCS AAS Dental Hygiene degree will be accepted as a comprehensive "block transfer" of 39 credit hours of dental hygiene courses and 29 credit hours of General Education courses, for a total of 68 credit hours for transfer.
- Are all of the courses online?
- All courses are completely online.
- Is there a clinical requirement for this degree?
- There is no clinical requirement.
- How long will it take to complete the program?
- The length of time to complete is flexible, so it is completely up to you. Attending full-time may complete in as little as 15-18 months.
- Will I be able to drop out a semester or two and still be able to complete my degree?
- A student can "stop out" for one to two semesters and re-enter to complete courses without having to re-apply to the university. Keep in mind that all coursework must be completed within six years of your start date.
- What is the cost per credit hour?
- Online Undergraduate Tuition - $ 463.00 per credit hour. The Distance Learning course rate is for all part-time students, regardless of residency, enrolling in online, web-based courses. Students enrolled exclusively in distance learning courses will be assessed the distance learning per hour rate regardless of the number of hours enrolled. There is no full-time distance learning rate.
- What is the advantage of earning the BSDH degree?
- The BSDH expands on the RDH's knowledge base to provide a means for continued advancement in the profession, career options in alternate settings, and meeting the necessary requirements for pursuing a graduate degree, increasing your career options.
- Why choose WKU?
- Provides intimate scholarly environment at a respected regional center of learning with international reach. WKU offers flexible learning opportunities through online and independent learning courses.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,