Skip to main content
Western Kentucky University


Classes beginning at 4pm today on the WKU Bowling Green campus are canceled. ALL Thursday and Friday classes on all campuses are also canceled. Online classes will proceed as scheduled. WKU offices will be closed on Thursday, with essential personnel reporting.

WKU Owensboro closed at noon today (Wed., 3/4).

WKU Glasgow evening classes that begin at 5 pm today will be canceled and the WKU Glasgow campus will close at 7 pm.

WKU Elizabethtown-Fort Knox campus will close today at 3 pm and will remain closed Thurs., Fri, and Sat., March 5-7.

Should inclement weather make travel hazardous, residence halls will remain open until Saturday. Follow WKU Housing & Residence Life for updates.

The high school regional basketball tournament games scheduled for tonight have been canceled. Games will be rescheduled for Friday/Saturday. Follow WKU News for the latest updates. #WKUAlert

Counseling and Student Affairs

Procedures For Applying For A Certification Program.

Extending the Counseling Certificate

Applicants who have completed a program of preparation for guidance counseling in grades K-8 or 5-12 must obtain P-12 certification to continue their certification. To do so individuals must complete CNS 568 and 660. Ongoing certification for grades K-8 or 5-12 is no longer offered.
Applicants who are interested in standard guidance certification must complete CNS 556 and 666.

Any applicant who has completed the indicated courses and is in need of additional courses for certification purposes must consult their advisor to select necessary courses.

It is important to note that when a student is beginning a program he/she must apply directly to the Office of Graduate Studies, meet with an advisor, and complete a program of study (Form C).

For Rank I or Certification Only, applicants should click the Apply Now button on WKU's homepage (under Graduate Admissions), click Domestic and International, log in, select a term, and click on Planned Course of Study (it is important for students to remember that even a 6 hour Standard Guidance program is a planned program and NOT non-degree seeking):

For Cert Only P-12 Standard:

Cert P-12 Standards

Students seeking financial assistance for a Rank I must apply as Cert Only and then note they are seeking the Rank I. They must also have 2 Form C's written and submitted—one for Cert Only and one for the Rank I. If a student is seeking a Rank I, but needs financial assistance, then in the Additional Comments Field add:

Rank I

If a student is seeking a Rank I but does not need financial assistance:

For Rank I P-12 Standard Guidance only:

For Rank I P-12 Standard Guidance only

Graduate Studies has final signatures on all degree programs and Teacher Certification has final signatures on all Ranks and Certs.

For more information concerning School Counseling certification or rank change, please see Teacher Certification

Back To The Top

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 9/24/14