- Addictions Education (AE)
- Career Service
- College and Career Readiness Certificate (CCR)
- International Student Services (ISS)
CNS 581: International Students and Services in Higher Education
This course explores international students' needs and interests as well as global issues confronting higher education. It will also focus on increasing student intercultural awareness as a foundation for student services (domestic and abroad) and study abroad programs.
Higher education has become globalized resulting in a need for American campus internationalization and attention to competition posed by universities abroad for student enrollments. Trends indicate a need for international student services in all postsecondary institutions as well as leadership in campus internationalization. Recognizing the unique contribution of international students to the learning environment, students in the course will be prepared to provide services and programs to meet the equally unique needs of international students in addition to serving campus-wide faculty, staff, and students with education and programming to broaden cross cultural understanding.
Students who complete CNS 581 will:
- Be able to distinguish characteristics of immigrant, non-immigrant, and international student and implications for student services.
- Understand the needs and interests of international students.
- Understand the trends and global issues impacting higher education.
- Analyze the impact of a culture's norms, values, and beliefs upon international students' experiences.
- Understanding of the impact of culture on postsecondary education.
- Exchange ideas and experiences with individuals from other countries.
- Identify and develop the interpersonal skills for intercultural interaction.
- Apply knowledge of student needs to the development of programming to address campus internationalization.
This is a web course.
For additional information about this course or the Certificate Program in International Student Services, please contact Dr. Aaron Hughey.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,