Counseling and Student Affairs
WKU Sponsored Continuing Education
If you have recommendations for additional trainings or are qualified to provide a
training for CEUs, please contact Dr. Jill Duba Sauerheber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Suicide Assessment, Treatment, and Management, Kentucky Board-Approved Training
TBA, Fall 2020, 8:30am - 3:30pm
Knicely Conference Center
The Department of Counseling and Student Affairs at WKU is pleased to host a Suicide Assessment, Treatment and Management workshop which meets the KY State training requirements for LPCC continuing education. This training is sponsored by The Department of Counseling and Student Affairs and approved for NBCC Credit Hours: 6 (ACEP # 4282). Register online.
Equine Assisted Therapy Experiential Workshop
Equine Specialist Jan Culp; Coordinator: Dr. Cheryl Wolf
Culp Farm, 1089 Pleasant Grove Rd, Bowling Green KY 42101
Saturday, November 2020; 10am - 12pm
This can be a transformative experience for you and a potentially beneficial experience for your clients. Jan is opening up her farm to help you all get an introduction to this type of therapy. The Culp Farm is a beautiful 30 minute drive northeast from campus so carpooling is recommended. The horse arena is covered but all dirt, so boots or old shoes and casual clothes is recommended; you will get the opportunity to touch and work with the horses. Learn more about equine-assisted therapy at EAGALA.org. This event is free but please register online to let us know you are coming!
Level 1: Spring 2021, Mondays, 2:30-5:15 pm
Level 2: Fall 2021, TBD
The Department of Counseling and Student Affairs has a contract with the Gottman Institute to offer Level 1 and 2 Clinical Training. The Gottman Couples Therapy Method is one of the most sought after and research-based trainings within the world. This is an excellent addition to your clinical toolbox (and resume)! The University Contract makes it possible to offer the training at a discounted rate (Level 1, $150; Level 2, $225), at a savings of $150 for each course.
- The Level 1 Training will be embedded within the CNS 583 Couples Counseling course which is offered during the Spring semester on Mondays from 2:30-5:15 pm CT.
- Students enrolled in the CNS 583 Course will still need to register (by submitting a check or money order of $150 made out to the Dept. of Counseling and Student Affairs)
- Those interested who are not enrolled in CNS 583 can still register for the training pending they are available during the Monday afternoon time slot and are registered by submitting a check or money order of $150 made out to the Dept. of Counseling and Student Affairs).
- Registration will open July 1; at least 10 paid registrants are needed by September 1st in order to assure that the training will be offered. Please deliver your checks to Belinda Wisdom.
- The Level 2 Training will be offered each fall beginning in 2021. This four-day training will not be embedded within a class and will be scheduled separately.
- Registration requires a Certificate of Level 1 Completion from the Gottman Institute. Full attendance is required to receive a Certificate of Completion from the Institute.
- Registration will open May 1; at least 10 paid registrants are needed by July 1st in order to assure that the training will be offered.
The Department of Counseling and Student Affairs at WKU has been approved by NBCC
as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 4282. Programs that do not
qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Department of Counseling and Student Affairs at WKU is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Other Continuing Education
Learn more about community-based Counseling Conferences, Continuing Education, and other trainings offered beyond WKU.
Local Professional Associations
Bowling Green Mental Health Professionals
Networking, lunch trainings, and peer supervision for professionals. Email Jeff Rose (email@example.com) to join the email listserv.
SKY Mental Health Providers
Facebook page to allow for networking and collaboration with other mental health providers.
Kentucky Counseling Association
Professional networking, conferences, state advocacy, and resources. Visit www.kyca.org