Counseling and Student Affairs
Counseling Job & Volunteer Opportunities
The job links posted on this page are provided as a helpful resources. They are not necessarily endorsed by WKU but may offer helpful ideas in your counseling-related job search. If you would like to post, remove a post, or provide updates to this page, please contact email@example.com. Also check out job sites like the NBCC Job Board and the ACA job listings or learn more about general national counselors' employment and wages and job descriptions in the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Local Sites (in Bowling Green, Kentucky)
American Red Cross(Bowling Green, KY)
The ARC trains local volunteers to respond to disaster scenes in Warren and surrounding counties such as local fires or national disaster areas. Respond to national disasters such as wildfires, tornado, or hurricane areas; they will pay for transportation, room, and board. If not yet licensed, they will also pair you with a licensed mental health care provider to provide a valuable experience in crisis and disaster response.
- Volunteer positions are available with extensive free training provided. Visit their volunteer website for more details.
- Paid internships are also available; contact them for more details. These internships do not count for the CMHC or MCFC internships but may be a beneficial complement to your academic learning.
Alliance Counseling Associates (Bowling Green and Glasgow, KY)
Large group practice of more than 20 therapists providing services that integrate many models of counseling, therapy, and wellness including mindfulness meditation, yoga, biofeedback, essential oil consultations, and sound massage.
- There may be case manager positions available with a bachelor's degree or therapist positions with a master's degree. Email a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Balance Therapeutic Care(Bowling Green, KY)
Offers individual counseling, child and family therapy, consultation, parenting classes, and behavior management training.
- Openings for Child & Family Therapists (LPCA/LPCC/LMFT), in-house supervision, flexible hours (posted Jan 2019); contact Trisha Tibbs at (270) 599-1034 or BalanceBiller4@gmail.com.
City of Bowling Green (Bowling Green, KY)
A variety of summer camp counselor positions are posted in February for May-August camps. Visit their jobs website to learn more about the positions and submit your application. Similar positions may be available in cities other than Bowling Green as well.
FamilyWorks Therapy and Consultation Services (Alvaton, KY)
Community-based individual and family counseling with children, adolescents, and adults. More than 20 therapists work in the office or out in the community working with clients in their homes and schools.
- They are expanding their staff of counselors (as of April 2015). View the flyer to learn more.
- There may be case manager positions available with a bachelor's degree and one year of experience. Contact email@example.com for more information
Hope Harbor(Bowling Green, KY)
Hope Harbor provides nonjudgmental and confidential support services to those affected by sexual assault or abuse and attempts to reduce the risk of victimization in the Barren River Area Development District. Hope Harbor is a non-profit crisis counseling center that provides one-of-a-kind services to victims of sexual assault and their families and friends.
- Volunteer positions are available in the office or on the crisis hotline. Both of these volunteer positions require 40 hours of free training. Training is provided approximately 3 times a year.
LifeSkills (Bowling Green, KY)
LifeSkills available at several of their sites around Bowling Green working with populations including child and adult crisis or substance abuse.
- LifeSkills regularly has job openings; required experiences range fromhigh school or bachelor's degree (Behavioral Health Associate) to full LPCC licensure. Visit their Job Center to learn more.
- LifeSkills Addictions Services has openings for RAs in their residential treatment
facilities (posted 8/16/18). Visit their Job Center to learn more.
Rivendell Behavioral Health Services (Bowling Green, KY)
Large inpatient hospital providing general psychiatric stabilization and medication management for pre-teens, adolescents, adolescent and adult substance abuse, and geriatric patients. Therapeutic focus includes mental health, substance abuse, and sexual abuse/perpetrators. Includes individual, group, and family counseling services.
- Rivendell regularly has job openings; required experiences range from bachelor's degree (Mental Health Associate) to full LPCC licensure. Visit their Careers or Internship pages to learn more.
- Assessment and Referral Clinician full time master’s degree (license eligible). Visit their website for full job posting and application. Posted 10/25/16
Specialized Alternatives for Families and Youth (Bowling Green, KY)
SAFY of America is a leading national nonprofit organization providing a full continuum of services for youth in the child welfare, behavioral health, and juvenile justice systems. They provide nationally-recognized family and children services in Warren county as well as 30 offices across nine states (see below).
- Opening for a Substance Abuse Counselor, LPCC, LPCA, or LMFT (Jan 2019)
The Ridge Behavioral Health System (Bowling Green, KY)
Specializing in mental health and chemical dependency treatment using a team approach. Past therapy opportunities have been posted. See flyer or Career Opportunities page for more information.
WKU Student Employment(Bowling Green, Elizabethtown, and Owensboro, KY)
A variety of student employment opportunities are available on the WKU campuses. Visit their website for updates.
Remote Sites (outside of Bowling Green)
Catalyst Behavioral Health (Somerset, KY)
Catalyst, Inc is a treatment facility which specializes in mental health and substance abuse services. They provide outpatient options and has programs catering to particular demographics, such as persons with mental and substance abuse disorders, persons with HIV / AIDS, DUI / DWI offenders, and criminal justice clients.
- Hiring for licensed professionals to provide outpatient therapy and other clinical services in the Lake Cumberland region. Qualified applicants will have licensure in the state of Kentucky (LPCC, LMFT) or be under supervision for licensure (LPCA, LMFTA). Interested applicants should e-mail resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (606) 451-9713. For more information, call (606) 451-1936.
Communicare (Elizabethtown, KY and 8 surrounding counties)
Communicare offers individual and group counseling with a variety of populations across eight counties including Breckinridge, Grayson, Hardin, Nelson, LaRue, Marion, Meade, and Washington.
- Currently seeking Office Therapist for Meade County School System (Brandenburg, KY; posted September 2016) to provide individual, group, and family therapy to identified clients at offsite locations, to include schools, homes, and DCBS offices. Required Master’s Degree in Counseling (LPCA or LPCC) or Marriage/Family Therapy (MFTA or LMFT). One year experience in diagnosing/treatment of emotionally disturbed children preferred. Must provide own transportation to offsite therapy locations. To apply, send resume/cover letter to Steve Hall email@example.com or Courtney Campbellclcampbell@communicare.org.
- Communicare regularly has job openings; required experiences range from bachelor's degree to full LPCC licensure. Visit their Job Opportunities to explore the possibilities.
Specialized Alternatives for Families and Youth (Ashland, Elizabethtown, and Somerset, KY)
SAFY of America is a leading national nonprofit organization providing a full continuum of services for youth in the child welfare, behavioral health, and juvenile justice systems. They provide nationally-recognized family and children services in 30 offices across nine states including Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, South Carolina, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Nevada and Colorado. See Clinical Development Specialist flyer or Family and Youth Specialist/Therapist flyer for past opening details; may predict future opportunities.
The Ridge Behavioral Health System (Lexington, KY)
Specializing in mental health and chemical dependency treatment using a team approach.
- The Ridge regularly has job openings in their Lexington location as well as other outlying areas (e.g., Stanford, Bowling Green, etc.); required experiences range from bachelor's degree to full LPCC licensure. Visit their Career Opportunities page to learn more.
University of Louisville Counseling Center(Louisville, KY)
Provide services and programs that support the psychological well-being, holistic development, and retention of University of Louisville students. View past opening job description and application information (posted July 24, 2015); may predict future opportunities.
Wediko Children Services Summer Program (Windsor, NH)
A co-ed 45-day therapeutic residential program for children ages 7-19 who struggle socially, emotionally, and behaviorally. Wediko offers intensive adult support as children learn, explore, and discover new skills in an outdoor setting. See flyer for past opening details; may predict future opportunities.
Youth Villages (Memphis, TN and other locations in AL, DC, MA, MS, NC, and TN)
- Youth Villages regularly has job openings; required experiences range from bachelor's degree to full licensure. Visit their Careers page to explore the possibilities.