Exercise – Activity requiring physical efforts, carried out especially to sustain or improve health and fitness.
Psychical Wellness – Promotes proper care of our bodies for optimal health and function, balance of physical activity, nutrition, and mental wellbeing to keep body in top condition.
- Controls weight – can prevent excess weight gain due to calories burned during exercise.
- Combats health conditions and disease – being active boosts high-density liporotein (HDL) = good cholesterol. Can also prevent/manage stoke, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, depression, cancer, and arthritis.
- Improves mood – physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that leave you feeling happier and relaxed (AKA endorphins!) This also leads to increased confidence and self-esteem.
- Boosts energy – regular physical activity can improve your muscle strength and boost your endurance. Exercise delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and helps cardiovascular system work more efficiently.
Promotes better sleep – Exercising regularly can help you fall asleep faster and have a deeper sleep. (WARNING: if you exercise to close to bedtime it may keep you awake.)
- Working out in the morning, on an empty stomach, helps you burn fat and stay energized throughout the day and has been noted as the best time to exercise.
- Exercise can combat body aches such as headaches and period cramps.
How much should you work out?
Aim for 30 minutes a day! Whether that be a brisk walk, a circuit at the gym, or a run.